1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question on Shipping Basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Sorr, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    Lately I've been having trouble locating boxes to ship basses in. Mind you, it's not like I'm always shipping basses across the country, but I do have a few things I'm trying to move and tracking down a bass box has been a challenge to say the least. I've tried music stores and they either don't have any or can't part with the ones they do have. Where does everyone find the freakin' boxes when you need to ship a bass?

2. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
  3. rstellar13

rstellar13 Sarcastic Panda

Sep 2, 2012
    Allentown, PA
    The past few times ive done it, ive actually taped two boxes together its somewhat a hassle but it works

4. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    I dumpster dive at GC or I go to my local moving Budget van rental company and get a box there. The boxes are inexpensive, so even if I need to double box it, its cheaper than UPS store or U-Haul.

5. jonnymac

jonnymac Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I actually just bought some of the bass boxes from Uline to ship a Spector out to the west coast. I've used 2 of them and still have 3 left. If you are close to the Allentown, PA area I'd sell you one or two for what I paid.

6. conebone

conebone Anime is rad.

Sep 20, 2013
    New Jersey
    I work at a Staples, but I'm positive that if you get to any office supplies store, you can ask them if they have any cardboard boxes. They will give them to you for free and intact...if they haven't already destroyed them.

Robbies Music Store on Route 46 in NJ sells them for $10, and have virtually any size you could want.

Guitar Center also has them, but they are always throwing them out before I could get to them. You'd have to call ahead.

7. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    the correct size to ship a bass is not always easy to find. bite the bullet and get you some Uline boxes. especially if you have a few things to sell. OR, you can buy my j bass in the classifieds and I'll throw in one for free.

8. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    Thanks for the Robbie's info. I'll definitely check that out. I've been to a few of the NJ area Guitar Centers and each has told me they don't give out boxes because they need them for their used department. Sam Ash just told me they didn't have any.

9. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Uline boxes are great - comes out to $7 a box if you order 5 or more. Totally worth it. Sturdy stuff. Invest in bubble wrap too.

10. Bicycle shop- bike boxes. Get two, hack em up and tape them together. Go watch the luggage monkeys at the airport, then pack as if THEY will be handling your bass

11. I found a local music store (indepedent) that would give me a box, but, when I talked to them, I found out they would pack and ship the bass for me for only about $10 more than the shipping was costing me. If they were closer (50 miles) I'd never pack another bass myself.

BTW, for those of you in the Reno area, it was Bizarre Guitar

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... that is a really good reason to buy a few basses online .. after a while, you get to know who the good packers are to get the good boxes :)

13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    GC is lying to you if they're telling you they have no boxes to give. I don't know about all of them, but my local store gets shipments twice a week, and it's someone's job to break down a whole lot of boxes and drag them out to the dumpster. If you can find a non-nincompoop in the store, he'll be happy to help.

14. That reminds me. it's been a while since I've seen Raiders of the Lost Ark. :p

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Off topic but this is bothering me, what are you referencing? I haven't seen Raiders in years.

16. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Divers of the GC Dumpster?:confused:

17. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I always suspected all those statements were true - although the jury is still out on the last one. Either could never get connected to such a person, or said person was happy, but not actually helpful.

I'm halfway between two GC's i.e. - they are equally inconvenient to get to. I called them both several times after visiting one in person. Each time, I was told 'we took out the trash last night but our delivery day is: [some random day in the future, never the same day twice...].

I could have used this thread last week 'cause I needed to ship a bass (and I'd have been glad to drive up to Allentown had I known then...).

I finally tired of the hassle and just bought an SKB hard case from Sweetwater so I could re-use the box...

18. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    +1 for the uline boxes. They work great.

19. Suho

Suho Bass Guardian

Aug 23, 2008
    Albany, NY
    If the Uline boxes are only a few dollars each, as an earlier post stated, then that isn't a bad price. I remember looking at a UPS store's options once, and it would have almost doubled my shipping cost to buy a box from them.

These days I have too many boxes from much buying and selling, but I have many times "constructed" my own box from smaller boxes and packing tape, and depending on the effort you put into it the results are sometimes as good or better than just reusing a "real" bass box.

20. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    The thing with Uline is you have to buy a minimum of 5. With shipping it can be costly.