Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on thumb resting...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hello Everyone:

I have a question about thumb resting and wanted your inputs. I have an MIA Amercan Series Fender Jazz, and when I play, I tend to rest my thumb on the pick-up closer to the neck. After playing for a while however, I notice the pick-up gets pushed down a tad. Is there a way to remedy this? Can I ruin the mechanism that keeps them in place? Thanks for the input.

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I assume that when you say the pickup gets pushed "down", you mean pushing the pickup away from the low E/B on your bass and closer to the G string, as opposed to deeper into the body of your bass. My first thought would be to tighten the screws that keep the pickup in place, although that would likely lower the pickups away from the strings. If you like your pickup's current location, try putting a shim into the pickup cavity to keep the pickups from moving away from the strings when you tighten the screws.

3. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    If I were you, I wouldn't really worry that much. I'm no guitar technician, but I cannot see it badly affected the electronics or instrument.

4. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    I had the same problem my old P-J GTX bass. I took the pickups out, and put a piece of silicone fuel tubing used for remote controlled cars in between the pickup and the cavity. The screws run through the tubing.

(kind of like this)

Bottom of pickup here
    ........... __|__
    Tubing > { | }
    .............. |
    Screw....> |

It acts like a spring, making the pickup snugger, yet still allows for adjustment (if you need to push the pickup deeper)

Hope that "drawing" makes sense.

5. :cool: I use a thumbrest. I works wonderfully. Have been for about 35 years or so now. Made the switch from playing with my thumb in the late 60s so began using a thumbrest then in place of the fingerrest/tugbar.