Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on visual effect.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by odie, Nov 2, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Last night we played a benefit show for the Army. They had a lap top PC that feed a signal to a projector that showed on a white backdrop behind the stage. This gave me a few ideas of doing the same.

I know others have done this before. But what do we need to do this in bars/clubs that are small etc. What equipment ideas etc.

The main problem I can think of is it would have to be setup far enough from the stage. But then the projector will have to be up higher so it doesnt shine onto the backs of peoples heads in the crowd etc.

Ideas?

2. I think those pc projectore are pricey (couple grand, maybe?)

Great idea though. Yup, the unit would have to be flown such that it wouldn't be shadowed too much by the band.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I use those LCD 'puter projectors everyday. Yes, they are very expensive. And they do work better flown. Like all tech they are getting cheaper and smaller, but you're still talking $2000 minimum. Let alone the laptop and cables. I've thought several times about borrowing one from work for a show, but I cannot afford to replace it if it got broken.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Bummer:(

Any other ideas to create a similiar visual?

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    How big of an image do you want to project?
    Could you use a white sheet for your backdrop, and project the image on to it from the backside?

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Mike that is a good idea. But now it seems the equipment needed is out of our price range. If there is a cheaper alternative to LCD 'puter projectors.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, you could always have someone manually flipping the images on an old fashioned projector :D

Cheapest video projectors start around $900, by the way. I have no idea how useful the cheapest models are, though. But if it's just visual element you want on the stage, you could always buy a bunch of old tv's and cover them with whatever will make them look like they belong on the stage, and then feed any kind of video you might want to.

8. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Funny, my guitarist bought an old projector off of eBay for exactly that purpose...

Dorkus.

9. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Odie, They are data projectors, you can find some good deals in the used market. In most cases you will pay more money for the laptop. Here is a link for you. Hope this helps.

http://www.projectordepot.com/