1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question/s for H-Clapm owners.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by pmad_bass, Apr 10, 2010.

1. pmad_bass

pmad_bass Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Bob Gollihur's web site depicts two possible mounting points:

1.) Up near the middle of the lower Bout
    2.) At about middle of the lower Bout

Where do you typically mount these on your bass?

Here is my situation- I have a Kolstein Fent.

At the lower C-Bout- it measures 9 & 15/16 in.

At about the middle of the lower Bout- it measures about 9, possibly 9 & 1/16 (depending on where I measure).

Bob's site list two sizes:
    1.) "Bass model: 7.8-8.9 inches / 198-228mm
    2.) "Extra Deep Bass model: 8.9-10.15 inches / 228mm-258mm"

So- I may be in a situation whereby the Bass model might would work near the lower C-Bout and the Extra deep model would likely work at or about middle of the lower Bout, but that neither model would work in both places.

As Bob does not allow returns- I would either need to:

1.) Be sure I know which mounting point/model I needed before I ordered.

2.) Order the more expensive "Studio" model that accommodates both bass depths (and guitar).

or

3.) Find a US dealer that allows returns (due to it being the incorrect size).

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Thank in advance.

2. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    I suggest you talk to Bob. He does not have an absolute no return policy. There are situations where he accepts returns. I am sure he will create something workable for you.

3. pmad_bass

Oct 24, 2004
    Maryland
    I haven't spoken to Bob about the return policy and or making an exception per se in this case. But I did contact them regarding the size differentiation issue. The response I received was that I could buy the (more expensive) Studio model and have assorted options. Not exactly an expectation to the return policy, but a possible option- though I'd like not to go down that route if I did't have to.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Unless I'm reading your measurements wrong, the bigger model would work for both. If it was close, it would be easy enough to shim the bottom (back) arm of the clamp with a piece of soft foam or rubber. I'd just get the bigger one and be done with it. :)

5. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    I have a busetto-style bass, and I mounted mine where the bump--the muffin top, as it were--joins the lower bout. On your bass, that position corresponds to just beneath the lower violin corner.

In that position it does not interfere with bowing, and I can lay down my bass on that side without interference--as long as the mic-mounting rod doesn't protrude too far.

Hope this helps.

6. pmad_bass

Oct 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Wow- I fat fingered my first measurement which really skewed the subtle difference I was trying to convey. Apologies.

At the lower C-Bout- (which is where I hope to mount) it measures 8 & 15/16 in.
    So it is likely that the Extra Deep Bass model (at 8.9-10.15 inches) might work.....or would that be too tight?

7. pmad_bass

Oct 24, 2004
    Maryland
    OK I think I am on track now.
    If I wanted to mount in the area of lower c-bout, the larger one should fit as 15/16's = .9375 of an inch and 9/10's = (....well obviously) .9 of an inch.

So it looks like the larger one it is.

8. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    I have one that I have used on several URB's. It is a well engineered product. Measure like you said and it will fit. I routinely use an audio technica small condenser mic. Nice. Good Luck.

WLt MI/USA