1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Roadking, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Hey Gang being fairly new to the Upright, I have a question.

Is there 2 different neck scales for an upright?
    I thought I saw somewhere that there was a shorter neck or a neck with less usable notes?
    for a lack of better terms,

let me see if I can better discribe it. . . where the neck curves it's a C or a B or something like that.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks for the correct term for it!

Frank

2. Hi Frank.

The "normal" scale is a bit debatable as the bridge position is not necessarily fixed to exactly the middle of the f-holes. Mine for example is a bit forward, ie. shorter.

Then there's all the different sizes of basses 4/4, 7/8, 3/4, 1/4 & 1/8. Obviously the scale lenght is different on all of them.

Finally (the thing I guess You're asking ;)), as the bass shape and dimensions aren't carved in stone, quite a bit of variation can be observed for the lenght of the neck and where it meets the body. Even a slight difference can make the bass look either "fat" or "slim" if You know what I mean.

Regards
    Sam

3. I think the OP may be asking about the difference between a D neck and an Eb neck.

But I'll defer to someone who actually plays DB. But if that this is the question, here's an answer previously given in another thread.

4. Good luck on that. Didja ever hear about harmonics?