1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions about 62 reissue p basses, new and old

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deliciouspesto, Apr 27, 2009.

1. deliciouspesto

deliciouspesto

Jan 18, 2009
    Howdy,
    Thinking about trying out a precision, and I had a few questions about the 62 reissue model.

It seems to me that it is the best way to ensure a nice bass from fender at the moment- I have heard fantastic things about the 08 american standards though, so thats a good sign. My parcticular questions concern the neck, the materials used, and in general the feel and quality of the units.

So, how are the necks? Have there been multiple sizes that they put out over the years? If so, whcih are they, and whcih is the closest to the original early 60s neck in both shape and feel.

Next up, how are the materlals? Has fender used different types of woods for their production, and if so what characteristics would one maybe find (besides weight).

About weight, is it just luck of the draw? Or does weight provide some degree of specification about the size of the neck, or is it just nothing at all?

And lastly, how is the consensus on the build quality throughout the years? Are there certain eras to avoid, or are they all going to pretty much provide a good experience?

I have had the opportunity to play a few early 60s Ps and some 60s Js and I gotta say that I would be pretty happy with any of them :) Thank you.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I don't own one, but have played several in the last 2 years. My standards for a 60's P are high and I expect a 1.75" nut width neck that feels very thin front to back. While I was not disappointed by the quality, I was not floored by the feel of the samples I have played. The neck shape is not quite IT for me.

Don't get me wrong, they are fine basses, and if I had 2k to drop, I might get one, but they don't quite match the memory I have of P-basses of that era.