1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions about a small mixer + cabinet combo

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by LittleFish, Sep 12, 2010.

1. LittleFish

LittleFish

May 20, 2010
    I am thinking of getting a small, inexpensive mixer and an inexpensive cabinet for the microphones for my band's practice/shows.

After searching around, I think i've found my preferred mixer in the peavey pv-6, which can be had for under $100:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-PV6-Mixer-104006358-i1153511.gc

However, when I was looking around on musiciansfriend and guitarcenter for a speaker to go with the mixer, I came across "powered cabinets" and "unpowered cabinets".

So my question is, will a PV-6 mixer be able to run through an unpowered cabinet? or will it require a powered cabinet?

For example:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-EUROLIVE-B208D-Active-PA-Speaker-System-620523-i1449710.gc

^^^^ powered cabinet

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-B212XL-12--800W-Passive-Titanium-PA-Spkr-105299978-i1432749.gc

^^^^ unpowered cabinet

Thanks in advance :)

2. It doesn't look like the Peavey mixer has a built in power amp, so you'll need one to drive the speaker cabinet. You can either use a separate power amp between the mixer and an unpowered speaker cabinet, or just run the mixer straight into a powered cabinet. For your goals, it's probably much simpler to just get a powered speaker cabinet.

3. In the context of mixers and cabs, "powered" means that it has an amplifier built in. Unpowered cabs need an amp to drive them, so you would either need an amp between the mixer and cab, or get a powered mixer instead. The powered cabs would work straight out of the mixer.

4. LittleFish

LittleFish

May 20, 2010
    ahh ok ok.

so basically, if i were to get the behringer powered cabinet and the pv-6, i'd be fine right?

thank you guys :)

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes that would work. I prefer unpowered cabs since there is one less cable that has to be run out to the speakers and there are never enough plugs :D

6. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    The powered behringer you are looking at is a POS if you look at the specs. It wouldn't be loud enough unless you are an acoustic band. If you are going with a peavey mixer then check out the Peavey PRD12.http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-PR-12D-12--Active-Speaker-104991781-i1438657.gc

7. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Get a used MixWiz and some headphones or earbuds.

8. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    You missed the part where the OP stated practice/shows.

9. For the money, I've been really happy with the cheap Yamaha mixers. At $99 I'd consider the Yamaha MG102C. Not that I have anything bad to say about the Peavey in particular though.

Going with a powered speaker will be the most compact setup, though it can be a pain running a power cord to them. A powered mixer is typically going to be quite a bit bigger.

I've had good luck with cheap mixers but I'd invest in better speakers/power amp if at all possible. Get something used.

10. For cheap power speakers.

Find an old solid state guitar amp... .. you'll have more than enough to get the job accross.

I like practicing with bad sound,.. gets us ready for reality.

On CL periodically you can find older powred mains.. keep an eye out for the 80s Yamahas.

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I have to second the Yamaha mention. We use a really nice powered Yamaha board and a couple 2-way 12's (or 15's) on sticks and it sounds really good. Yamaha makes great stuff in a variety of price points and features. Probably a little more expensive than the other stuff you are looking at, but worth it. It works and lasts.

12. I use a early PV10 for our band.....small 4 pc blues band. We use an external power amp - an QSC, but you can use about anything that pushes power. The new Peavey power amps are acually nice and the 1600 watt unit is about 7lbs. I am not a Peavey rep or anything - but this is a great small room set up - I added a 2-15 band EQ and a BBE 462. We typically only put vocals through, but I have had keys, Harp amps mic'd, and on occasionally -a light touch of kick.

the PV10 is clean, and clear. It will be as clean and clear as your amp and speakers will allow. we have gigged with this set up for over a year - no issues. I have an older set of Yamaha 10" monitors - recently reloaded with emmenence betas, and a set of JBL JRX112M monitors - that we pole mount for vocal tops. When we used the big system, we use all 4 speakers as monitors.

I don't know if that helps - but its what I do and it works for me. BTW - that Peavey Power amp is $299.99 most places and is CLEAN and LIGHT. you can add an EQ later so when you get a rack case, plan for that and whatever other rack device you may want to add....and put the mixer on top. We used the amp alone with no EQ for about 6 months....it worked fine. The EQ made it a little better and the BBE a little better yet. I keep it in an oversized rack case *(8 sp) and am able to store all the cables and mics in the rack - making it easy to use.

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Search out a clean Yamaha EMX on Craigs List. The 512 lunch box model is a great power mixer and sells on the local CL for $250 to $300. My old EMX5000/12 is a total keeper but figure $500 used... Add as much speaker as you can afford ... old Yammy club series, JBL's, etc ... just audition whatever it is you buy used. There is a ton of decent older gear out there ...

My only gripe with the Peavey is that the mid control should be relabled 'mud'. A local club has one that I use weekly. We are 3 voices, electric Archtop guitar, a flattop acoustic and usually my tacoma ABG. We play through the monitors only - no amps and let the FOH do it's thing. That mid control is just not voiced real well for my uses. Other than that it seems like a decent board - If it had a sweepable mid it would be a lot better IMO - but for the OP's $100 - sweepable mid isn't real likely anyway ...

* for new speak's MF and AMS have been selling the Mackie C200's for $200 a piece. I bought a set and have used them as monitors and mains - I like 'em a lot. New Mackie powered stuff I will not touch ... as a friend put it, I don't want to be a beta tester for Loud's power amp engineers ... the C200's are a 10 and a horn largely designed by EAW. I put a sub under them if I'm getting loud or mic'ing a kick. At $200 per unit they are a heck of a deal IMO.

14. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    That ought to be sig-worthy!

15. I think I do ok with that Peavey 4Mal - because of the EQ. It was ok before - but not great. I never took the mids past 1:00

Those Mackies look good - I have read about them, but can't find them locally. I JUST replaced the Drivers in My yamahas.....and if I had to replace the monitors, I would have liekly gotten these....the Set of Drivers came to $81 and some change......Like a reprieve at 11:59!

16. LittleFish

LittleFish

May 20, 2010
    Thanks a lot for replying guys. Great food for thought.

FWIW, I think we sort of have a $500 budget to get 1 or 2 speakers (most probably powered), mixer, speaker stand(s), and 2 mic stands.

I'll look into getting the yamaha mg102c. the price seems perfect at $99, and as some of you suggest, the sound ain't too shabby either.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-MG102C-10-Input-Stereo-Mixer-104227327-i1172628.gc

As for the speakers, I don't know whether I want to go for a single speaker setup by purchasing a a peavey PR 12D, for $399, or go with purchasing a pair of behringer b208D (for $185 ea.). Someone said earlier that they were a POS, and yes given their poor track record, one would expect them to be. However, I was reading up on several reviews of the speaker and so far, nothing negative yet. Do any of you personally have any experience with either the behringer 208d or the peavey pr12d speakers? Comments would be appreciated.

Note: our band plays in front of a small crowd. Just to kind of give you a perspective of our current "equipment", the 2 guitarists each use a 30w line 6 amp. I use an ampeg 50w amp. The drummer plays with an electronic drum kit through a roland cube bass amp. Pathetic? yes i know. :p. Someday, we hope to be able to afford half stacks and all of them good stuff, but for the kind of shows that we we play for currently, it fits.

17. For that budget: used, used, used. The small mixers are cheap enough to buy new, but if you buy dirt cheap speakers new, you won't be happy for long. Avoid Behringer if at all possible. I think the decent powered speakers are going to be more expensive than a small power amp and an old passive speaker.

But what about a powered mixer? You'd undoubtedly save money going that route, particularly used. But you do lose some ability to upgrade piece by piece. EQ is a bit lacking on this, but...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-PVI-4B-Powered-mixer-751508-i1326078.gc

There is so much old live sound gear out there for cheap.

18. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I have no experience with the behringers but i have heard the Peaveys. They are OK for the money. I was looking at the specs when I made the POS comment. The 208d maximum SPL was a 113 db/ one meter. The Peavey was 120. One peavey will be almost as loud as 2 behringers. I would buy the Peavey and then add another one when you could afford it.

19. LittleFish

LittleFish

May 20, 2010
    I don't think I'm going to go with the powered mixer. I think I prefer the EQ capabilities, cheaper price tag and especially, the lighter weight of an unpowered mixer.

I do appreciate the suggestion though. Thanks. For now, I've decided to get the MG102C Mixer.

I did some more searching earlier today, and found this Harbinger APS15 Powered Speaker, which has a max SPL peak of 121dB. (note: My understanding of max SPL's is the higher the value, the louder the speaker. So this speaker should, in theory, be louder than the Peavey speakers)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger-APS15-15--Powered-PA-Speaker-105122774-i1430143.gc

Anyone have any experience with this speaker?

20. Never heard of it.

You really don't want to skimp on the speakers. Seems silly to spend a good amount of money buying a new but inadequate speaker that you're going to outgrow. The used market is a good place to get something to get the job done until you can afford what you really want.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021