Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about my DBX 266XL comrpessor.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i just got a DBX 266XL compressor for christmas, and i was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for settings on it, or in general.

2. Start with a 3:1 ratio and lower the threshold until there is almost always gain reduction. This will insure that the loudest parts of the signal will be affected and the quietest parts won't, which will keep your signals a few decibels hotter and preserve some dynamics. I then increase the ratio until I get between 3 and 6 decibels of gain reduction.

The attack should be fast enough to catch peaks but not so fast that it cuts down the attack (depending on pick or finger style technique). The release should be fast enough to let go of the signal before the next note can cross the threshold. However, if your release is too fast, you'll either hear the compression or you'll hear the bass signal distort. I usually start with a 10 ms attack and a 250 ms release.

Good Luck Steve!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    thanks a lot. i am getting my rig from my drummers soon, and hooking up my compressor here :D. i finally got how to hook it up also:
    Instrument > Instrument Cable > Compressor input
    Compressor output > Instrument cable > Head input

:D

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Ummm...I don't know about anyone else...but I run mine through my effects loop...both channels in series so I get the extra gain stage...I'll post setting later, or you can do a search...someone gave suggestions for the Behringer compressor, I just reversed channels. Off to Christmas Dinner II, cheers!

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Really???

The DBX 266XL has an instrument impedance I/O???
    That's amazing.

Your compressor's input impedance is: 40k

It is important to note that electric guitars have a unique signal which is relatively high impedance ( 500KOhm - 1 MEG Ohm) and usually requires a guitar preamp (such as found in a guitar amp,etc.)

What I mean to say is that your compressor is made
    to be used in an FX loop.

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    oh really? i am just plugging in to the input of the compressor. should i do it like this...
    Instrument->Instrument Cable->Input of head
    Effects loop of head->Instrument cable->Compressor input

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Now you've got it...rack effects are meant to be used in the effects loop. Stomp or floor box effects are mostly designed to be used inline between the instrument and the amplifier. Finger Blister hit the nail right on the head (with better terminology then I would have used!!!)

Just make sure you use shielded cable to make all your connections...non-shielded cable is only for speaker out from the amplifier to cabinet input jack. You'll run into problems if you use speaker cable to hook up your effects. Good luck, report back on how things sound!