1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

questions from a noob.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, Apr 11, 2010.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Okay I've got a pretty good idea on what kind of bass(es) that I like and the sound that they produce but I'm completly clueless when it comes to amps, rigs, stacks, and whatever else you want to add. So here it goes....

What's better tubes or ss?

What's the best recomendation for punk?

How many watts are recomended for a band with 1 guitarist.

What's the recomended speaker size.

Can you use a rig for practice?

How many watts are recomended for 2 guitarist?

How loud is too loud?

and anything else you guys might find usefull information.

All responses are greatly apprecaited.:bassist:

2. Tubes or SS only your ears can tell you.
    Wattage is easy, 300-500 watts to start or even end with. 1 or 2 gui****ists your covered.
    Use my gig rig for practice all the time (overkill for solo practice).
    Too loud is when your ears ring after you stop playing or you feel pressure in your ears (hearing damage).
    Start with a 212, 410 or 215 cab (210 is an option if you buy some of the new powerful light wieghts).
    My thoughts for your app. would be SS amp head. G-K, Genz Benz, maybe MarkBass, Mesa, Carvin, Peavey. Lots to choose from and only YOUR ears will know what sounds like home to you. :bassist:

3. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Crap shoot. Judge on an amp by amp basis.

Do you like it? That's the amp for you.

Three times what he has.

For you... 4x10 or 4x12 but don't hold me to it.

200+ should do you.

Do your ears hurt? That's too loud.

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    What's better tubes or ss? that's up to you

What's the best recomendation for punk? that's up to you

How many watts are recomended for a band with 1 guitarist. 3 to 4 times the wattage of the guitar amp

What's the recomended speaker size. depends on what you like, ie:10's-12's-15's

Can you use a rig for practice? yes

How many watts are recomended for 2 guitarist? 3 to 4 times the combined wattage of both guitar amps, keep in mind it's more than just wattage. 500 watts into an 810 will probably be much louder than a 1000 watts into a 210

How loud is too loud? If your ears start ringing with out earplugs it's too loud.hint,when in doubt use earplugs. good ones

5. Achilles2012

Achilles2012

Mar 28, 2010
    Solid State should be adequate for a new bassist. Probably a bit less expensive also.
    I would say 300Watts and a good 410 Cabinet. Big Punchy Punk Bass for practice, Big Punchy Punk Bass on Stage. Look around pawn shops, music stores - bring your bass, and ask to test some gear. Music shops are used to this so don't be shy. Turn it up and ask some questions. You're going to get many different opinions so you have to filter all of that through what you know sounds like good punk bass to your ears.

Keep reading other similar threads, posts, sticky's and you will begin to answer some of these questions. It takes a great deal of patience and it's only just begun, but it will make you a smarter bassist in the end ...

2 centavos

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yup, 300 watts and a 4x10, all your choice, as it's all personal preference. And +1 to all the other responses.