1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions on EBMM Bongo customization.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stanley Design, May 28, 2007.

1. I recently bought a Bongo 5er as a possible replacement for my L2000. I really like it, but there are some things I find could be improved. I think I'm going to sell it and get a four string version, but I'm interested in some differences.

A) Possibility of getting the Pau whatever board instead of a rosewood for a fretted?
    B) Are the four string necks the same string spacing as the 5 string necks?
    C) If I end up going with a 5er instead, do they make nuts for people that tune EADGC?

That's all I guess.

2. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    1. No.

2. Can't say, although my Bongo 4 was very comfy to play.

3. No.

Hopefully this helps.

:bassist:

3. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    A) No
    B) No
    C) Not unless you get a custom blank and have it cut for you or cut it yourself.

4. Boourns, second set of questions.

A)What about getting a lined fretless and getting a luthier to install frets into it?

B)If the string spacing differs, what are they each in mm's?

C)Is it hard to get a new nut to fit right for that application? I've only changed nuts on acoustics, where you don't have slots.

5. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    On the pau ferro, I'm not sure that it would matter that much even if they did. It is suppose to sound brighter than RW, butI'm not sure the bongo needs any more aggression :)

6. Purely esthetic. I just am not fond of rosewood looks.

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    They don't seem to be very open minded towards customizations.

8. How about the possibility of getting an L2000 with the same string spacing as a bongo 5? My string spacing on mine now is huge.

9. boyet

boyet

May 15, 2007
    Miami
    True. I suggest you go and find a local luthier and get yourself a custom with all your specs in it. This will save you from all the trouble.

10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Inactive

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    But that way he wouldn be able to get the electronic package the bongo has wich i believe must be ons of the strong reasons to customize one instead of getting another kind of custom.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021