Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Serac, May 29, 2005.

1. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
    allright, I'm a newb, but I always wanted to get a bass guitar (the electric ones) I dunno if this is the right place to do it, but there is no newb board (needs to be added).

I wanted to play the opening bass to "FTW" by the Vines, and the awesome bass in "Stockholm Syndrome" by Muse.

I don't know which Bass guitars make those sounds though...

Could someone tell me which ones? Like is it a double bass, an electric bass, and which brands if that really matters??

Also, what's the advantage/disadvantage of playing, 4,5,6,7,8 or unfretted bass guitar?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/519634/
    Is this a good deal, and do you think I would be able to play with the same songs as the ones I listed above?

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Welcome to the board bro!

First off, my Ares isn't working, so I can't help you with those songs. I'm assuming they're using an electric bass, not an Upright. I could be wrong though.

2) As a great bass player by the name of Jaco pastorius once said, "It's all in the fingers" If you take the time and disipline to sit down and pratice, you will find thatyou can get a million sounds out of your bass.

3) About more than 4 or 5 strings, it's all a matter of personal likes. Some people play differently than others. like John Turner, who owns a double neck bass, 7 string Fretted/ 7 String Fretless. Why? Who knows, but it's really cool, and the guy is a monster. And Stew McKinsey who owns a 10-string bass.
    It all boils down to what you like, and would like to play. I personally suggest a 4, or 5 string to get you started, if you haven't played a bass before.

4) The Squier Deal is iffy. I bought a Squier 2 1/2 years ago, and the thing is incredible. Mind you, every other squier i've played is garbage. It's taking a chance on the quality. What I suggest, goto a local store with a bass player who knows what s/he is doing, keeping in mind these things.

I) How many strings do you want? 4, 5? Do some information on it, what does your fav band play, What do you like the look of?
    II) How much do you want to spend? Also, if down the road, bass isn't right for you (God forbid), it would be alot easier to sell a brand name bass to someone. I would spend a little extra cash on a higher quality bass, just incase something like that does happen.
    III) Is the bass you decide on Too Heavy? Too Light? Those can't be changed. Also put on a strap and stand comforablly with the bass. Let the neck go, and if it tilts over to the left, it's too heavy on the headstock side, which will eventually cause major hand cramps down the road, and you won't get the proper technique.

All in all man, I would suggest you PLAY the bass first, even if it's plucking open strings, see how it feels on your lap. Kinda like a girl.

Other suggestings, download some Jaco Pastorius, Rush, Weather Report, Yes, and Dream Theater. These are only a FEW incredible bass players.

Also, once you get a good feel for the bass, Get Lessons ASAP. Learn your theory, and make sure you know what you're doing.

I hope this helped!

Keep shakin the floor,

Mark

3. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
    thanks! :)

So the number of strings is in my style. But a 5 string has more of a range than 4 strings, cause it has an extra string, right? And so on and so forth?

4. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Exactly. More Strings= More Notes. But on a 4 String, it's strung EADG, starting from the lowest note (Thickest String, Open)
    With a 5, They usually add a low B to it.

But the way the basses are tuned, you're really only getting an extra 5 notes out of each string you add.

5. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
    About this, do you mean the squire in this package is incredible, or garbage? But is the amp good? Yeah, I was kinda planning on going to a store…

6. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I find it with squiers, you will get a really good one, or a really bad one. Personally, I haven't found another "good" squier like mine. I wouldn't buy that package, look for an Ibanez Package, or even a Fender if they exist. The Fender Rumble it comes with, is another one i use. Not that exact amp, mines the Fender Rumble 100, the big daddy of the Rumble Series. I love it, I don't see why the 15 wouldn't be great for a beginner.

7. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
    cool, but I don't like the look of ibanez/les gibson guitars...

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I know it's daunting, but I'd avoid taking the easy way out, and not buy one of those packages.

My personal preference is to buy used, as you can get a better instrument for cheaper that way...

Maybe you should check out the Essex (SX) mega thread here...they've gotten a good reputation as a low end bass that's worth having. The starter Precision model (like the one in your package) is under 100$, and with the additional 200 bucks you saved from not buying that package, you could get yourself a better practice amp.

I'd start with a 4 before thinkin' about 5,6,7,12, or 257 string basses...you can get a better 4 string for the same cash, and it will make playing more enjoyable. If you take to it, and decide to keep going, then you can upgrade, once you decide what you want to hear and what kind of tone you like. At this point, you don't have the know-how to pick an instrument by it's features, and that comes by playing listening and trying out stuff.

Most of all, pick something you LIKE. Don't pick something just because everyone tells you that you should have it.

9. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    yeah what he said.....start out with a 4 string....it's less confusing for just starting out....i've been playing for almost 10 years and i still use a 4 string...it just depends on what kind of music you play...a 5 string doesn't really add more notes it just lowers them....like you can play a low b on a 5 string or a higher b on a 4 string...actually there are several b's or any other note on any bass...i'd start with a 4 string because you can just play the bass note of the chords the guitar player is playing and it will be less confusing for you...because your 4 strings will be tuned the same way as your guitar players lower 4 strings...(unless they are using wierd tunings)...i'm talking like a440 (normal) tuning or maybe drop d....there are a lot of different opinions about stuff so just find what best works for you.....my opinion is not to be too concerned with notes, scales, theory and all that gibberish....there's nothing wrong with it but for me it made music unenjoyalble....i mean i know basic notes that go with chords and stuff but just improvise...play what sounds good to you ...this is the way a lot of talented musicians play...especially starting out...then you may learn some of the technical stuff along the way...just remember what music is about....having fun playing with your friends

10. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
    hold on, the more strings a guitar has the deeper sound it makes???

Also, I have some more questions...

what exactly is a synth? I think I hear it in songs like "The Hand that Feeds" and "An Honest Mistake." I think it's a special machine attached to the keyboard that makes funky sounds, right? But are there are other types of synths too, not just for the keyboard, but for like amps or something?

Also, what exactly is a bassline? I've heard that it exists in such songs as “Hysteria” and “Seven Nation Army.” But the White Stripes have no bass player (speaking of which can you explain all the jokes about their bass, I never really got it. ;P) so how can there be a bassline? Or can a bassline be played by an electric guitar? Is it played with an electric bass? What exactly is a bassline? x_x Does jack white use an electric bass for SNA?

And if you what precautions must you take for your equipment when you travel? The guitar doesn't really respond to the shaking of a car, but do other instruments? I heard amps get really damaged if they ride in a car...

Also what are all the items a beginner bassist should possess, and should buy later on when he gets good?
    eg guitar, metronome, amp, effects?? Can someone explain effects a little bit? I heard they don't work for basses, if you put them through guitar effects they sound wierd...

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Sometimes, the more strings the 'deeper' a bass can go. Although I'd think of deep as relating to tone rather than pitch. The 5th string on lots of 5 string basses can add to the lower range of the instrument, although some string it to reach higher notes.

A 'Synth' is usually a keyboard, while it could be just a unit that a keyboard controls. These days, most of the sounds you hear in popular music that aren't bass, drums or guitar are done by keyboards (synthesizers). That piano or orchestral sound you hear on a recording is most likely a 'synthetic' sound created by a keyboard.

The 'bassline' is the actual part that the bass player is playing...most any part that the bass is doing is a 'bassline. Sometimes other instruments do this too...keyboards, or if you were an all brass band, maybe a tuba.

Basses, guitars and amps CAN be delicate, but the vibrations of a car won't hurt them for the most part. Most people around here have cases which help protect their gear. You'd be surprised how much abuse an electric guitar or bass can take. Have you ever seen Hendrix or Townshend break a guitar on stage? It can take quite some work.

At the very least, you'll need a bass and an amp. A metronome is a great idea too. I'd suggest that the BEST accessory a new player could have is lessons.

Hope this helps!

-B

12. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
    tone? pitch? man I'm a failure. XD What are they?

Well, I know you need a case for your guitar, but do you need a case for your amp?

and is pickstyle in any way better than fingerstyle? It seems fingerstyle is more proffessional...

oh, and about a bass... Is it true you can make the pitch (don't know if that's the right word, or the difference) higher and lower by tightening/loosening the strings, and by pushing a button on the amp back and forth? But are there more ways?

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Well, these can be difficult terms at first. Think of pitch as the actual notes that you hear. Some are higher, some are lower. All instruments have a range of pitches to choose from, otherwise you'd only have one note, right?

Tone on the otherhand describes the quality of that note. When you listen to a radio or stereo, you can adjust the TONE buy using either your tone knob or bass/treble knobs. You're not changing the actual notes played, but their character. With more bass, you make things BOOOMY. With more treble, you make things bright. Most basses have a knob or 5 that can control the type of tone that bass has. Amplifiers also have controls for tone.

Not always. If you're careful, then no. I have a guitarist who doesn't own any cases for his amp. I do have a somewhat delicate amp and chose to have a case for it.

Jeeeze, man...don't say that too loudly around here. Pick or fingers...it's all personal choice. They sound different and have different 'feels'. Do whatever feels good to you. There are professionals out there who have never played with their fingers and vice-versa.

Once again, you're talking about different things. Tightening or loosening the strings effects the pitch. Looser strings=lower pitch (that's an oversimplification, but will do for now) The amp is only ever going to adjust your tone/volume.

14. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    My recommendation to you is to go buy a used Fender Jazz Bass, a cheap practice amp, and then get lessons.

Also, check this guy out: http://www.billysheehan.com

15. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
    Okay, but do Amps ever suffer from excess heat or anything like that? I know regular bass guitars expand/contract with heat/humidity, but does that at all affect amps? And what’s the chance of an amp blowing up? :ninja:

SNA has a bassline, but the White Stripes have no bass player (speaking of which can you explain all the jokes about their bass, I never really got it. ;P) so how can there be a bassline? Or can a bassline be played by an electric guitar? Is it played with an electric bass? x_x Does jack white use an electric bass for SNA?

Also, can a bass play any synth sounds?

So my plan is that I’m gonna start out with a cheap fender bass, get experience, and hopefully upgrade that fender, eventually, to a pedulla rapture. Good choice?

Also, I asked someone else and they said that to not start out with an electric bass, instead start with an acoustic/electric guitar, as you get knowledge of the frets that you wouldn’t know about bass, so you’re a better player? Plausible?

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Guitars and basses are much more sensitive to humidity and temperature than amps are. This has to do with the neck being made of rather thin wood (relatively speaking) and the body being finished. With the neck, it's more likely to be humidity that's a problem...wood does take up water in the air, and can bend a bit, especially when under tension from the strings. The body of the bass, on the other hand can have problems with extreme temperature changes...the finish on most modern basses is a plastic, which doesn't expand or contract at the same rate that wood does. Sooo...if you're not careful, and you're moving your instrument from super cold to hot or vice versa, you CAN crack the finish. Under most 'normal' conditions, these things aren't a problem. If you're happy and comfortable with the temperature or humidity, then your bass will most likely be too.

Amps are not nearly as sensitive as instruments. They're usually made with plywood, and while I wouldn't want to leave them in a dank basement for too long, they can take some abuse. If I've been moving equipment outside in the cold, I do like to let it warm up a bit before powering it up.
    I can't really give you too much info here...it's possible that even though there's no bass in the band, that they recorded one in the studio. It's also possible that what you're hearing is a guitar line rather than a bass line. It's very possible for a guitar to play basslines, but don't expect them to sound the same...they'll be an octave or two above a bass line. In many songs, you'll hear a bass and guitar doubling the same line...While I've heard the White Stripes, I'm no expert.

There are basses that include synthesizer hardware...and there are 'aftermarket' parts that you can add to your bass to trigger synth sounds.

I like your plan. Don't let guitar Nazis convince you you need to start with a guitar, or that you'll be a better player if you start on guitar. Those frets on the bass are in the SAME PLACE. You'll learn just as much about the fretboard with either. If you want to play bass, then starting with guitar isn't going to motivate you.

I like the first half of your plan...can't go wrong with a Fender bass! I have 3 of them. I'd say, play for a while before jumping to an expensive Pedulla...I bet with some experience you may find other exciting basses you may want too!

17. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
    Thanks for answering all my questions, you guys. :)

ok, so I looked around, and here's what I came up for on what to buy for my bass:

-------------------------------

SQUIER BASS PACK 300$
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/519634/
    metronome, hardshell case w/lock

CLOTHX2
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/420053/
    6$

HARDSHELLCASE
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/42766
    possible

TUNER
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/210526/
    15$

METRONOME
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/214022/
    29$

Total: $349.35 without Hardshell case
    ---------------------------------------
    Is this good, am I missing anything important?j

Also, I’m not sure about the hardshell case, It adds 50-60$, and I want that instead of my gig bag for more protection… How do I know if that bass fits in that case? If it doesn’t fit then that would suck so much. XD

18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Serac...Which country do you call home?

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My suggestion, keeping within your price range...

http://www.rondomusic.net/product395.html
    or
    http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb62qmdredsb.html

SX P-bass or Jazz bass. Better build quality than the Squire, lower price. Not as much name recognition, but well thought of in these parts. Check out the Essex Megathread for more info:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57599
    $89.99 or 99.99
    -------
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/480720/
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/482582/
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/482538/

Some practice worthy amps...all in the under $250 range, and some in the $220 range. Much better wattage and build quality than the one in the package.

The tuner and metronome are fine...I'd skip worrying about a case or bag until you're playing outside the house, for more than just trips for lessons (hint, hint).

20. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    SNA doesn't really have a bassline - Jack plays his guitar the whole way through. The famous intro *sounds* kind of like a bassline to most people, because of the way he plays it (one note at a time, low E string only, etc) - but is really just a guitar part. He later takes that intro and plays it higher on the guitar to give the screaming guitar solo parts.