1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick crossover question

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by L.A. Moore, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Should I keep it (my crossover) in my PA rack wich stays by the mixer, or in my amp rack located up by the speakers? Is this a set it and forget it type thing, i do I need to adjust it? I'm thinking the amp rack is better as it's less cables I hae to run.

L.A.

2. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I don't consider myself a "sound guy", but I always see them in the amp rack.

Ralf

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    We've used them in both places. We started out with it in the amp rack, but later it got moved to the FOH rack, that the sound board sat on, so our soundguy had an easier time making room adjustments when needed.

4. The one advantage of having the crossover in the amp rack vs. the FOH rack is that you would only have to run one XLR line from the board to the rack, vs. two if it was in the FOH rack. Other than that, it's purely preference.

5. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Is it your band's PA that you will be running? Keep it easy and leave it in the amp rack.

You see them in the FOH racks when you get a dedicated sound engineer who knows how to work one.

Note that even in the big leagues, crossover tweaking is seriously frowned upon without permission from the PA company.

-Mark

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The "correct" crossover frequency is more about the specific cabinets and drivers than about the room. Leave it in the rack, set it where your cabinets work best, and leave it alone.

jte

7. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    In my world, we use DSP units, and it is required by tour riders to be at FOH. If its a smallish system, that only you really use, put in the amp rack. As stated before, less return lines to the amp rack, fewer points of failure.