Quick Fix Please!!!!!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Hey everybody. Well I'm out of town and I'm supposed to play a gig on tuesday and I'm having bass troubles. On one of the cracks that I had repaired there is a cleet not totally glued down and it is rattling pretty bad. The crack isn't opening though so thats good. Only on the g and d string rattle. It's really an ear sore but is there something that I can do for a quick fix tell I can have someone really work on it? Any help is usefull right now! :help: Thanks
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Roll up a dish towel and shove it down between the tailpiece and the top of the bass.
  3. I've tried the towel in the tailpiece but it doesn't work for my bass.
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The only other idea I had was to have your girlfriend press the palm of her hand over the loose cleat while you play, but didn't mention it as it sounds a little impractical.

5. I don't know Ray it sounds pretty good to me lol :) Now if she will go for that's another story lol
  6. Ok, here is one fix that is pretty horrid, but it is temporary and removable, and your luthier won't try and disown you when you eventually get back home.
    Get some "Blu Tack" or equivalent, shove it gently into the offending crack (of the bass). Get some rubber bands and tie them together. Get two or three "strings" of rubber bands tied together. Put them round the bass so that they hold the gap closed. The "Blu Tac" will stop any noise being amplified. Might dampen the overall sound a bit, but hey, this is only a temporary fix. Should make your bass look very "Street"?, but hopefully let you do the gig.
  7. For what it's worth ...

Another posibility is to get some clear transparent tape (we call it stickey tape down hear in Australia) and gently tape the crack or use it to pull the parts of the bass together. (or get a rounded butter knife and use it to ease the tape inbetween the gaps to push it appart, pad the gap up a little ... be very carefull if you do this!)

This will clean up if you don't use anything to industrial (I would be carefull about using something like gaffer tape as this may rip off bits of the finish of the Bass)

Good luck!
  8. Any way to pop the cleat right off?.....For now.
  9. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Before you pop the cleat off or do any of the other stuff check for open seams; first visually and if you can see any open, tap with your nuckles around the edges. If you have a clattering sound, that's the place(or one of them).
  10. I have taped on it a lil bit but can't seem to find it. There are about 4 or 5 cleets right there. But if I can find it I mite try to pop it off. Thanks for your help fellas