1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick question about Studio Monitors

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ChorusPedal88, Sep 13, 2008.

1. ChorusPedal88

ChorusPedal88

Aug 25, 2007
    What is vitally important about where they are located an why?

Its the final part of my research project that has to be handed in Monday and I can't do much tommorow since its my Birthday lol

2. Doc Labyrinth

Doc Labyrinth

Nov 21, 2007
    New Jersey
    Mr. Wiggles the Worm
    They should be 3-8 feet apart. Under 3 feet and you get something called bass coupling, which is when bass waves from 2 or more speakers combine, and make the bass seem more prevalent than it really is. Also, they should be within this range for a nice accurate stereo image.

You, in relation to your speakers should be set up in an equilateral triangle, you being the point at which both speakers converge, obviously. So if your speakers are three feet apart, you should be three feet away from them and in the center, four feet apart, four feet away and in the center, and so on.

Also, they should be the same height off the ground as your head while you're working.

3. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The relationship between the monitors and you head, a triangle with a speaker and your head at each point. Different types are speakers are designed for listening at different distances. The reflections from surrounding surfaces play a part. How they are ported. The sound texturing of the room. Then each model and even set of speakers have their own sound that as an engineer you need to learn the sound of when mixing. How do the speaker sound in relation to the target speakers your typical listener will be using. Also the sound of the amplifiers driving the the speaker and their sound. Not a small subject to do right.