Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick Question...maybe not :-:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lazlo Panaflex, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Ok i searched, and i kind of understand the theory of ohms, but am still a bit confused.

Im just bought a ampeg svt 3 pro (450 W 4ohms) and im looking to power a Eden 1X15 and Eden 2x10XLT with it.

The 1X15 doesnt give me a choice on ohms but the 2x10XLT does. It gives me the choice of 8ohms or 4ohms, since i will be coupling the cab with the 1X15 i want the 8ohm version... correct?

Also im trying to choose the 1X15 and i see that Eden makes two versions. An XL and XLT. The XLT has a cast-bell horn, is it overkill to have two cast-bell horns? Or will i just get better tone/sound?

Sorry for the n00b questions, but you guys are the smartest bass ppl i know :)

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    yes you want to make sure the 15 is rated at 8ohms and you will need to switch the 2x10 to 8ohms. If the 15 is 4 ohms, then you can only plug the 15 in without the 2x10. I have an ampeg B4R and it goes down to 2ohms but im not sure if the svt3 does or not. I im not sure what id do about gettin the horn or not. If its a huge price different i wouldnt. If your gonna run it with the 2x10 all the time i wouldnt. The only thing is if you run the 15 by itself you might want the horn for little extra highs. You can always turn one off in the back of the cab. And your right mars volta does own.

3. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Thanks
    hyperlitem, i really appreciate it.

Will i recieve a "better sound" with two horns or is it just overkill?

4. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    the two horn thing is subjective. i am fine with no horns. if you are a guy who likes it high (that rhymes) then i guess 2 horns is good for you. if you want to give yourself the option of just using the 15 alone, then id get the horn with it. like he said, you can always turn the horns down in the back if you feel the need. hope this helps.

5. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Ok, cool thanks guys i really appreciate it, im goin to go with a horn on the 2X10 and save myself some cash on the 1X15 and not get a horn on it. Thanks again :D

6. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    sounds like a good plan to me.