1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick question re truss rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Deaky, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Deaky

Deaky

Oct 24, 2006
    Hi guys

I put a set of Labella flats 45-105 on my ASAT the other day after having Thomastik flats on.

In trying to adjust the truss rod I put the longer end of the allen wrench into the neck but it would not budge. I then put the shorter end in which fitted perfectly which when I turned the rod it turned very smoothly.

I am just looking for some reassurance that I havent damaged either the rod or the neck by doing this. The neck has slight relief which is perfect for me and it certainly plays perfect as my ASAT has always done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and the ASAT loves LaBella flats

Cheers

Deac

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Short answer, no damage.

By using the longer arm of the wrench to engage the nut, you greatly decreased the amount of leverage available with the shorter arm.
    When using the short arm to engage the nut, the available leverage was multiplied, allowing the nut to turn smoothly with little effort.

Law of Levers :cool:

3. XephonXIII

XephonXIII

Jul 27, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    +1

It's almost impossible (for me) to get the truss rod to move with the long end. Your bass should be fine!

4. Deaky

Deaky

Oct 24, 2006
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the quick replys. Admittedly when I was trying to turn it it was going nowhere until I put the shorter end in and it went very smoothly.

Phew...

Thanks guys :)

5. Deaky

Deaky

Oct 24, 2006
    Plus i did give it quite a firm pull and it didnt seem to move any!!!

6. Do you need to loosen the strings when making truss rod adjustments? Mine seem to turn easier when the strings are loosened up some.:)

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if the rod is hard to tighten, that can be a good idea, along with just pushing the neck into backbow while you tighten.