Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick Speakon Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sevenfingerdhob, Dec 10, 2004.

1. sevenfingerdhob

sevenfingerdhob

Nov 16, 2004
    The GK (1001) comes with a speakon cable, right? Can i use the included cable to run full range...? This might be a stupid noobie question... Sorry about that.

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    The 1001RB-II that I purchased about a month or so ago DID NOT come with a speakon cable... It did however come with a notice explaining that GK no longer includes the cable with it's heads because they include them with their cabinets now instead.

Anyway, on to your question... IF your GK head DID COME with a 4 conductor speakon cable, you DO NOT want to use it UNLESS you are connecting it to a GK Cabinet (or a cabinet that has been specially wired so that pins +1/-1 are connected to the woofer and pins +2/-2 are wired directly to the horn). If you connect it to a normal cabinet (one that uses an internal crossover for the horn), you risk damaging the amp. I assume by "Full Range" you are talking about a typical cabinet that uses a passive crossover to send the highs to the horn and the lows to the woofer.

When running a typical cabinet use ONLY a 2 conductor cable that is connected to +1/-1 on the speakon connector. It's OK to have the 4 conductor speakon adaptors on each end, as long as NOTHING is connected to the +2/-2 terminals.

Hope that helps answer your question.

- Ugly.