Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

quick wiring question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by somethingshort, Sep 23, 2003.

1. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    I in the process of purchasing a QSC RMX 800 and a SansAmp RBI, my question is what would be the best way to wire it? I would like to buy the cables at the same time to save on shipping.

QSC -> Speakon Cable -> SansAmp -> 1/4 inch cable -> Avatar 210

Also, do Speakon cables function the much the same as instrument cables in terms of price? You get a nicer cable, but will it affect tone/output much to go with a cheaper one?

Does that look right? This will be the first preamp/poweramp I've ever owned so I'm a bit new to the subject. Thanks for the help guys.

2. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
  3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    you're definitely going to want that pre-amp BEFORE the power-amp.

sansamp -> qsc -> cabinet

4. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    what wiring method would you suggest?

5. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    anyone? :meh:

6. The output of the RBI-

On the back of the RBI in the "output" section you can use either XLR (mic chord) or 1/4". An XLR to XLR connection is going to give you the best sound quality. A sheilded 1/4"-1/4" patch cable would suffice. I'm not sure how to set up your particular amp to function in bridged mono so check your owners manual. Most likely, you'll run into channel 1, flip a few switches, and run out of ch1.

On the ouput of the RMX800-

You can get a Speakon cable that will allow you to use the bridged function (running it out of the channel 1 output to your cab). It is wired differently then a regular one. There are some other guys here on TB that can direct you on how to go about that. A banana connection would also work just fine.

This is going to be a sweet little rig! Let us know how it sounds and keep us posted.

7. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    Thanks alot man, I figured it out this morning after about 3 hours of searching and reading and killing my brain :). Ill keep you guys posted, I plan on adding another Avatar 2x12 so I'm pretty excited about the whole thing!

8. Huh??? you SHOULD use shielded instrument cable out of the preamp, or use XLR. You're talking a few milliwatts at 1 volt, and an instrument cable handles this easily. Don't know why guyplassbass thinks this is unacceptable.

Unshielded speaker wire can allow lots of noise and hum. Don't use unshielded wire to connect between audio components, use unshielded wire only for speaker-level signals.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Use either an instrument-type cable of an appriopriate length or an XLR cable.

I know it's been discussed here, but I think the SansAmp's XLR output is hotter than the 1/4". I don't recall what it was exactly. If this is the case, then XLR would be the way to go.

For the amp output, use a speaker cable. The speaker end should have an appropriate connector to connect to the speaker cabinet, and the amp end should be either Speakon (wired for bridged mono if you're operating in bridged mono), or a dual banana plug.

10. MY BAD!!!

I should have been more specific as I meant he couldn't use intrument cables to hook up his cabinet. Sorry!

11. Guyplassbass brings up a good point that should be emphasized again...DON'T use instrument cable to plug in speakers. Never, ever. Rip the cord off the nearest wall lamp if you have to make do...lamp cord (zip cord) is commonly used for speaker wire.

12. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    thanks for the help guys

RANDALL RS6 SPEAKER CABLE 6FT KC

MF BLACK SPEAKER CABLE 1/4-MDF 40FT BUY 1 GET 1 KC

SKB 4-SPACE ROTO RACKMOUNT CASE KC

QSC RMX850 POWER AMP KC

TECH-21 SANSAMP RBI RCKMNT BASS TUBE AMP EMLTR KC

should be here in 2 days :D

13. Is there a particular reason why you bought 46 feet of speaker cable? :(

14. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    for some reason thats the only length they come in, but hey, their cheap so ill just keep them coupled up and it should be ok

edit: the 6 foot one is just a 1/4 speaker cable, the 40 foot ones are banana plugs to 1/4

15. My speaker cable is 3' long and it's perfect. My patch cables are all 1 1/2' long and that's a little too much. I guess you'll have a BUNCH left over!

16. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    Yah the 3' long one was out and I was kind of antsy to get my stuff. The 40' ones were the cheapest ones, plus theres 2, I'm barely gonna make rent this money let alone spending 20 more on cables. I'm just a very poor and hopeless college guy :)