Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rabbath "Equation" fingering

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Marc Decho, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Hey everyone, I picked up Rabbath solos for doublebass today, nice little book packed w/fun stuff., I haven't even brought it home to test any of the pieces out just yet, but i'm looking at Equation right now and any of you guys/gals that know this one may be able to offer some advice, in bar 15 there's a fair stretch of the fingers, doublestop E (d string) and C (g string) ok fine...then you hit bar 16 and your supposed to doublestop F (d string) and D (g string) damn! am I reading this correctly ?

2. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    I know nothing of Rabbath fingerings, but it sounds like you could play both double stops one string over (D+A) so that they're a bit closer and that D could be harmonicized, which isn't really a word.

3. harmonicized sure that's a word!, I use it all the time, I tried the piece for the first time last night and that's exactly what I did (A+D), still a pretty big stretch to get used to ....my bass is pretty huge and action pretty high, ideally for pulling off Rabbath pieces a smaller size bass would be nice as well as some lower action and thinner strings, but hey i'm gonna master this stuff with the setup i've got and that's all there is to it!

4. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Here is a pic, the notes are actually f# and D, and that is closer than e to c.

you can do it all with the same fingering, you just need to slide up a half step for each set of notes.

also, lifting your thumb and rotating your hand will help.

I took a pic of this, anyone know how to stick it on here?

Thanks Aaron, I updated it

Attached Files:

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    When you hit "Reply to Thread" scoll down to 'Additional Options" and then click "manage Attachments" Valid file extensions are bmp gif jpe jpeg jpg mp3 png psd txt xls

6. hey thanks Alex, yeah about 10 seconds after I posted that I realized I read the F wrong, I put another post for doublestops correcting myself, thanks for the pic + fingering that Rabbath book is some serious fun business!.... it's covered in black! you been studied his pieces for a while ?

7. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, his stuff can keep you real busy for several years, that is for sure.

I Haven't been bored yet.

8. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    I am working on equation right now. It's a strange little show off type of piece that really sounds harder than it is. There is one measure though that is really hard. I think it is bar 17 or something but I dont have the music in fromt of me. It's whent the accents and pattern switches so for the last part of the triplets is on the d and g string. Its hard because the bowing it weird and the shift up is fast. Other than that I can play the piece. :p

9. I agree fully, when you listen to it, it doesn't sound ultra complex, just sounds like a simple doublestop sliding around the neck, some real quick spicatto stuff and end, takes a good chunk of time before your comfy with it.