1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

rack bag recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BasserX, Jul 21, 2012.

1. BasserX

BasserX

Oct 15, 2011
    Hi! I have a Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ amp and I'm looking for transport/protection. It doesn't get moved that much, so light protection would be acceptable. I tried mounting it in a Pro Stage Gear 6U rack, which was nice, great construction and protection, but the amp is a heavy beast all by itself, so I was thinking about changing to a rack bag, and downsizing to a 4U to help save weight.
    A lot of the 4U rack bags I've seen have the amp facing forward while carrying it. To me, it looks like this would put most of the weight load on the screws... wouldn't it make more sense to have the amp facing up so the weight would be on the rack? I think Gator makes one like this....
    I was also thinking backpack straps would be helpful to distribute the weight on two shoulders...

Does anyone know of such a rack bag or must I design and build it myself?

Thanks!

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I've used Protec rack bags for years.

3. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I've used a Gator rack bag. Pretty happy with it.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    An SKB 4 space rack will be lighter.
    Get the good one, not the roto-x-moulded one.

5. I have a Gator rack bag that I'm really happy with. Found mine on Craigslist for only $40.

6. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I'd go protec. The gator 4U i have has worked alright, but the bungee cord thing on the top broke the first week and the wood bracing isn't very good.

7. mathewjg

mathewjg

Dec 26, 2009
    London
    I ordered a rack bag on the assumption that it would be light but found it had a fairly substantial plywood frame inside which made it heavier than the equivalent Gator molded cases. Also the zip on my rack bag stuck after about 9 months of use. I found that Thomann in Germany prices for Gator are about 25% less than UK prices

8. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I'm using a Protec 4 space, it works fine an does not add too much weight. I drive a Mini Cooper and I don't want any potential sharp edges in the car (when you transport anything in a Cooper it's "in the car" :)) otherwise I'm with Chef on the SKB.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    On my skb; all the corners are pretty well rounded, but I take your point...

10. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    My SWR220 is in a Gigskinz bag that's really nice.

11. The Protec rack bag is pretty nice and the amp faces forward but it doesn't have backpack straps, only a sling type shoulder strap.

12. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Do you know of a rack bag that has backpack straps?..

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The Protec doesn't tear up your car.
    Shoulder straps? Can't imagine that. I have my 8x10 cab and bass on my back so I carry my rack bag.:)
    Actually if I'm rolling urban or suburban my cab(s) on rack n roller with backpack full of cables etc. and Protec with bass on back.

14. Nope!
    But that's one of the things the OP mentionned.

15. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    That is why I got a rack bag in lieu of the SKB.

Looks like this:

16. MLC_BassPlayer

MLC_BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Apex, NC