Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack Case: Is Deeper Better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RunngDog, Jul 14, 2004.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm looking at buying a first rack case and am wondering how deep a case I should get. I expect to get a 6-space case for amp (Eden WT400 - requires 2 spaces), tuner, power conditioner. and wireless. The Eden is about 14" deep with nothing plugged in -- extended to about 15-16" with plugs in. All the other equipment is a good deal shallower. I'm thinking about one of those aluminum CNB cases -- seems to be solidly made and very affordable -- which run 18" deep without the covers (2" for each). Is this a good bet? Or should I be looking for something deeper or shallower?

2. It seems to me that as long as your stuff fits in there its the right size. I wouldn't concern myself too much with this.

3. If this is the only piece of equipment you will ever put in the rack, fine, go for it. But many power amps are considerably deeper, (my QSC RMX1850, for example) and if you ever want to buy anything deeper, then you'll have to spring for another rack....so you may want to consider your future needs.

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    The QSC is deeper than 18"?

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You might want to consider how much space you have for cables and other accesories too.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    like already said, it all depends on what you use now and if you anticipate getting deeper equipmant in the future
    my stewart 2.1 just fits in the standard SKB rack which i think is 16" deep

7. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    My wife thinks deeper is better.

8. I think it just comes down to convenience, if you don't need a deeper rack then don't buy it. However, if you need a deeper rack down the line, you may have to buy another one. It's the same as anything else, a more powerful amp is going to be heavier and larger, and harder to bring around, but you won't have to upgrade for longer (or at all). However we're talking racks here, so see if there's a surplus of space and if it isn't going to be that much more effort to carry around. If you have the room and may change stuff around relatively often, you should get it deeper.

9. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The hot air won't circulate out as easily in a deeper rack. I go for what the gear will fit in. The SKB stuff is great. It's light and it takes a lickin'.

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, you cant really go wrong with SKB. I honestly dont think they're as rock-solid as the Road Ready racks (Cuz... you know.... I punched each of them and bought the Road Ready... good shopping strategy, eh?)... but they'll defintately do the job. Plus, they're definately lighter. I just thought the Road Ready looked a lot cooler :p

11. The QSC fits into a SKB but there's not a lot of room left. I don't remember exactly how deep it is...old age I guess....

12. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I'm personally all for the deeper racks. This way you have extra room for accessories. For example, I also put a folding guitar stand, powerstrip/surge protector, and all of my cables in my rack case (don't worry, the stand is wedged in such that it can't move around and damage anything). That way all you have is your rack, cab, and bass.

13. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I have a 14" rack depth 6-space case and a 16" depth 4-space case. I much prefer the "shallow" case. It's easier to handle and load, even though it's 2 spaces taller. Either my Eden Wt800 or my QSC PLX will fit easily into the 14" rack. With a 6- space rack and a power conditioner, you'll have plenty of room and you wont have a bunch of power cords to stuff. I'd get the shallowest case that will still fit the deepest component.

The one advantage I've found with the deeper case is that by using rear rack rails, I can rack 6 spaces of gear in a 4 space rack. It's a tight fit but it can be done.

14. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    She also thinks that 5 space you got is really a 9. :eek: :p

15. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Sweet :D
    - Just kidding.

When buying a Rack/Flightcase, consider your future needs. Buy +2 Units of what currently need?

16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I did that when I got my old 6U rack and then never needed the extra space. After 4 years of having a 2U space in there I finally cracked and replaced it with a shallow 4U rack, which fits my gear perfectly and has a total volume just over half that of the deep 6U rack.

Alex

17. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi Alex,

I can see your point.
    What I mentioned above was drawn from my expirence.

I bought a 2U Rack and ended up with a 6U (using 5U)