1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack mounted fans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by powmetalbassist, May 23, 2011.

1. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Looking at getting a rack mount for my amp, and was looking into rack mounted fans. Althought they seem odd in that the ones I've found push air up. I would have thought they would suck air in and out.(front to back)

Would building my own (computer) fans on a empty rack mount work?

2. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Middle atlantic

3. Why dod you need a rack fan???

I've never put one in any of my racks.

4. powmetalbassist

just seems like an intelligent idea.

5. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Check out Cool Components, or Active Thermal Management; both companies make a wide assortment of rack fans & coolers. Also, Sherbourn makes a rack-mounted fan called the C12 that can be configured to suck/blow in just about every conceivable direction.

6. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    I think that a rack fan is a good idea and is worth the money if it keeps your gear cool..

7. Not really. Usually rack mountable amplifiers take the cooling factor within the rack into account. Most vent from front to back so as long as the rear is unobstructed no additional cooling is required.

8. Depends if your amp was meant to be racked in the first place. also a lot of amps that will fit in a rack have side to side or even side to top venting.
    If your amp is in a rack by itself it is likely okay. If it lives with effects, tuner, power conditioner etc you may want to look at how the various vents line up.

9. My pair of Mackie 1400s vent from front to the sides. They've never given any problems from overheating in a 4 space SKB case. I will agree that to design a rack mount amp that vents through the top is asinine. I've yet to find a power conditioner, effect unit or a tuner that needs any cooling.

10. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    +1

my rack, that im "workin on", will have all kinds of neat electronics... lights and ....well..stuff.
    I'm sure the amp company prolly didnt intend my amp to be in this environment.
    I may put a fan in too. Cuz I want too.and it wont hurt.

JMO...?...

11. Eventually it will trust me! Your back! :bag:

12. I have a rack mounted fan in my big rack that I use for my Boogie D180 and two power amps. I only use it if I'm in a situation where heat is a big factor, as all the amps have their own fans. Just a little added protection to keep the amps running efficiantly.

13. With a tube amp in a rack an extra fan is a useful thing. With a SS amp if your extra fan is blowing in and the amps fan is blowing out you could actually be reducing the flow of air across the sinks.

14. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    It is all about air circulation, really rack fans work best in a closed rack environment, with multiple fans on the exterior of the rack, creating a current that either flows around the sides in order to bring cool air to the heatsinks, or around in a vertical loop. With most rack mounted equipment as far as pro audio goes, I wouldn't think them to be incredibly advantageous since most likely you will have the equipment's fan's exposed to clean air with a back and front panel off. It kind of takes away from the ability to circulate cooler air and exhaust it.

15. powmetalbassist

Thanks guys.

16. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005