Rack Tuners?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Daytona955i, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I'm looking for a rack tuner, are there any that I should stay away from? How well does the Korg DTR-1000 function? I'm looking for a one time purchase here, but I'll probably pick it up off Ebay.

2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That one works fine, they are very popular.
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I had a DTR-2000 and it was significantly better than the TU-2 I have now.
  4. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    +1 on the Korg. It's considered the industry standard, isn't it? At least it seems so, considering how many pro racks I've seen with a Korg tuner.
  5. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Thanks for your replies.

I seem to remember hearing or reading somewhere about a tuner that when mounted under a power conditioner with rack lights, had a piece of plastic face that stuck out and got in the way of the light on rack parts below it.

Now, I do play in dark places or with weird lighting on occasions, and I did get the lights so they could be used when neccessary, so I don't think that that's an outrageous question to ask.

Has anyone else heard this or experienced this situation with one in particular?
  6. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Just mount the tuner above the power conditioner. Problem solved.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I put my tuner in the top of my rack with the power conditioner right below it. Everything else below that.

The DTR-1000 is the updated version of the DTR-1/DTR-2 which I use the DTR-2. Great tuner, will never need to trade it in for anything. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

However, there's a bit of a sticky saying these posts go in misc ;)
  8. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Another vote for the DTR-1000...

I, too, mount it at the top, above my Alesis power conditioner, then there is an empty single space, and the DB750 takes up the rest of the rack. My rack looks really cool from off-stage. Switch the DTR-1000 to 'display' mode, and the red lights are running across the face of the tuner. The lights from the power conditioner have a dimmer switch, which I set about half-way, and they light-up the Big Daddy Aggie. The intense blue lights from the Aggie pierce through... the entire rack looks like it could be nuclear powered... or something like that! :eek:

All of that said and done, however, Korg tuners are well liked among many musicians. The DTR-1000 is probably the most popular rack-mounted version. The DTR-2000 (about $80 more than the 1000) has a couple more whistles and bells to it, but probably the most useful addition over the 1000: the 2000 has its own rack light at the bottom of its face. You can actually see the 'punch-out' space on the 1000 where the light is supposed to go.
  9. What are the advantages to rack tuners? Why would you spend so much extra on them?
  10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I have a Sabine RT-7100. It's quick and if it lasts as long as my Sabine handheld tuner (12 years and counting), I'll be very happy with it.
  11. I have had a DTR-2 for around 5-6 years. I'm not exactly thrilled with it. My main gripe is that it's "too accurate." What I mean is that you end up spending a lot of time bouncing between flat and sharp and not really being "on." To 99% of ears, being just flat and sharp sound perfectly "on," so that extra buggering around isn't worth the time. I just ball park it these days.
  12. That thinking doesn't fly with the people with whom I play. Accuracy like that helps in noisy situations.
  13. I defy anyone to audibly tell the difference when this thing reads one LED sharp or flat. I got a shiny nickel waiting for you.
  14. What are the advantages of a rack tuner and why do they cost so much more?
  15. They are more accurate because they can have a bigger display. Also, they just look really cool; if you leave it on for dark shows, it lights up your rack, and the LEDs bounce around. Looks real cool.
  16. The big advantage is that it's contained on your rack and it's always on. There's no setting it up, no packing it up when you're done, when you need to use it your signal is already going into it.
  17. The only problem I have with rack tuners is that you have to turn your back on your audience. It depends on the venue I guess, whether that would be considered rude, or dangerous.

my .02