1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Racking pedals my simple idea

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Sep 17, 2008.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Been thinking about an easy way to rack my pedals and still give me the flexibility I need in other situations and here is what I've come up with.

I want my board to work on it's own and in a rack so.....

Pedaltrain Jr with Voodoo Labs power supply under it and a Axess GRX4, the only effects I'm using live are fuzz, filter and boost but I am amp channel switching (basically 2 inputs on the front of my amp) and I'd like a tuner mute am I right in thinking there is a way to hook all this up or am I asking 1 to many loops? So this is pretty straight forward but what i intend on doing is having it fit into my rack on tray and I'll hook it up to some sort of patch bay I'll get built or the whole rack will pretty much stand alone with a wireless and amp in the rack so basically slide the pedalboard in and connect, input, output and tuner mute.

I figured on the tuner mute I'd leave the Peterson strobe o stomp on the board and just run it's output to my Korg DTR-2 when racked.

So this seems all straight forward to me, please correct me if I'm wrong, then I was thinking if disconnected from the rack the board would stand alone and the GRX4 would default to all the loops open so i could just turn the pedals on and off (Old school style).

The only thing I'm thinking is I might need a Lehle A/B/Y box for my amp inputs and use a midi thru on the Axess to allow for midi control with the MFC5 and also allow for switching when not hooked up to midi.

I hope this makes sense, any ideas or input would be welcome.

Thanks

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You mean like this?

[​IMG]

At one point with my old band, Dead Hand System, I had 15 pedals housed in a rack, operated via MIDI with a Boogie Midi Matrix. It's a pretty sweet way to get multiple thousands of dollars worth of boutique pedals away from clumsy feet, spilled beer, and screaming fans. Plus it looks cool.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah but on a removable board that takes very little wiring to get it in and out of a rack

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Why bother taking it out of the rack?

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    For jams or gigs where I take an amp head instead of a 14u shock rack

6. easy fix there--just buy doubles of all your pedals ;)

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Someone at your level should never have to stoop to such lows.

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    True but when else am I going to get to use my Trace Elliot v6 head :D

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Put the Trace on top of the rack. Problem solved.

See, it can be done:

[​IMG]

10. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ben, you're ridiculous.

11. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Most awesome rig I've ever seen. Ever.

12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What? Oh that old thing? ...I just threw that thing together. It's smaller than some of my other rigs.

13. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    If I understand, you have three effects and one control loop, which will work with the GRX (four loops or three and one latch / mom control channel). I'm not completely clear on your setup, so I guess I'd clarify that you'd probably want the foot controller to connect to the GRX IN, not THRU. Is there any reason in particular you are thinking the MFC5 for a foot controller?

I ordered a GRX a little over a week ago and may post about it after some evaluation.

14. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    :eyebrow: You should post a couple. :)

Sorry for the thread hi-jack. :meh:

15. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    During a Paul Young show about 20 years ago, I noticed that Pino Palladino's rig had some Boss pedals in a rack.

16. AlstottMVP2

AlstottMVP2

May 9, 2007
    wow, a pedaltrain fits inside a rack. that boggles the mind.

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    MFC5 is small, looks to have all the buttons I'd need other than that I'm easy I don't need anything massively complex.

So I presumed my setup would go in rack

Wireless into
    GRX
    GRX Loop 1 (Cream Pie)
    GRX Loop 2 (Fuzz Saw)
    GRX Loop 3 (Bottom Feeder)
    GRX Loop 4 (Send only to Peterson tuner in and Peterson Tuner out goes to Korg DTR-2 in) unless the GRX has a specific tuner mute out on it which would be better
    GRX out into Pulp Mill compressor into
    Lehle Dual out into
    Ch1 and Ch2 of the Mesa

So I assume here I can use the Midi Thru on the GRX to go to the Lehle's midi in (Just ignore model of the Lehle I'll get what ever works as a midi A/B/Y box I just haven't looked into it yet) and this would allow when changing program or command on the GRX to change the Lehle as well?

Also for Ben it would also be useful for TV performances when I can only take my board and have to use the supplied back line.

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    PT Jr is only 17inches wide so I assume it would

19. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    TaySite, that sounds like a really cool pedal board. Now that it clicked for me that you want to midi switch on the Lehle, I do have a suggestion. With the "Lehle Dual SGoS", you have a dedicated Tuner Out. This will free up one of the valuable ($65 worth by my logic) loops on the GRX for another effect or a NO or NC control loop. Good luck.

20. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    You are right that Lehle would be perfect, so I think I've sorted all the components apart from I want a power supply with isolated outputs but works in other countries.

Also need to figure out if you can default a midi switcher to a program or something when no midi foot pedal is connected