Rackmount Screws

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ADbassman, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Are the screws people used to rackmount thier stuff made specificly for that purpose, or is this some screw/bolt I can find at home depot for a buck or two? If the latter, what kind? Thanks.
  2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Just about any screw with the right thread will work. I admit I like Grade 5 stuff or better. If I recall correctly, my Gator uses 10-32 thread screws.
  3. Buy a box of 10-32 screws from Lowe's or Home depot....(IMHO Grade 5 for this application would be a little overkill...)
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Or buy a box of 10-32 screws from your local independent hardware store.

(sorry, I'm a bit biased :) )
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Or see if you can buy some from your local independent music store. If we're going to be biased (and trust me, I live in a "Wal-Mart town", I know what big buisness can do to a small town), let's be biased towards music stores. ;)

Mine sold me a handful for a nickle per. It's nice to have a "friendly" relationship with a local store. :D
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm responsible for the inventory. Since we have 403 bins with 10 compartments each, whatever falls on the floor is free. I like when it's 10-32 screws :)
  7. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i bought thumb screws that came with washers from here because i dont like my nice equipment getting rack rash:

because sometimes i find myself without a screwdriver

just incase

but anything else should work just fine too.
  8. The guy who owns our local independant music store is worse than guitar center. I've never seen a guy sell stuff at list price until I went to this place. Beyond price gouging, hes isn't a very nice person to talk too either. I think I will support a local hardware store though, with my 50 cent purchase. Thats 50 cents those corperate dogs won't get today! Ha ha!
  9. I use stainless Phillips head screws + plastic washers. All are normal stock items at the neighborhood ACE Hardware.

The stainless does not rust, and the plastic washers prevent rack rash on the ears. Looks pretty tasty, too.
  10. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Bgavin is the man on that.

Re: rackmount, while I don't find the "surplus avionics panel" look aesthetically pleasing for a gigging amp, I did have to build a rack in my studio and did just what bgavin did. A trip to Emigh's/Ace got a nice set of roundhead stainless screws and nylon washers that did the job cheaply and looked spiffy.

If you really want to geek out, you can get color-anodized, biscuit-head allen screws or Torx screws with stacked incremental washers. :D
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

I have that problem too. While the folks are pretty nice for the most part, the prices are full on MSRP.

As far as the rack screws....I like the thumbscrews as well.

12. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anyone else hate the SKB (or others) clip-on nut thing? Those things are the most IMPOSSIBLE inventions on earth to take off the rack! What the heck?! :spit: I have to get it off with a screwdriver, practically destroying it and/or my hand when I don't have a screwdriver.

Can anyone give advice on how to take these things off without making bending them to "disposable" status? So far, everyone I've ran into has the same comment as me. And I've tried every decent way possible, but always have to revert back to the "pry and throw away" method. :scowl:

Sorry for the rant... have a great day! :D