Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rackmounting Eden Navigator

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Aug 19, 2004.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For any of you fellow Navigator owners out there, I have always left an open space beneath my Navigator, because I didn't want to take off the rubber feet, and becuase it has one or two large honking screw heads on the bottom, and it looks like they will gouge the top of whatever goes directly underneath the Navigator. But, I'd really like to cut back to a 6 space rack, and to do so, I would not be able to leave any open spaces with my current configuration (PL-Plus, MDB-1 and ULXS14, Navigator, and PLX 3002).

Have you guys had much luck putting something directly underneath of your Navigator? Did the screws scratch the gear underneath? Did you take the rubber feet off? If so, how did that go?

Any advice (and shots of racks with Navigators in them!) would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My Nav sits right on top my PLX3002 in my rack, no rubber feet. No discernable scratching aside from normal rack rash, but I don't take it in and out of the rack ever, I just leave it in.

Note: If you are going to have another unit right above the Nav, consider drilling some side-vent holes to the Nav's left side, right next to the tube . . .

3. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks for the reply, and good point about ventilation for the tube. Did you do this? Any photos, if you did?

4. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    I've got a fairly new Navigator (WP-100), that's about a year old. Mine didn't come with rubber feet on the bottom, I just put on the (supplied) rack ears and installed it. I've got a PL-Plus, RT7200 Tuner, NAV and PLX1602 in a six space SKB rack and have zero issues, no scratching...no probs....

If that helps any....

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No photos, sorry.

I just opened the case so I could see where I was, and drilled about a dozen 2mm or 3mm holes in the side next to the tube, and made sure to remove all loose metal shavings.

Not sure it does any good, but it sure didn't hurt . .

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, it does! Thanks.

Eric, did yours come with the rubber feet? If so, did you remove them?

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just pulled my rubber tootsies off. Still have them in a baggie but I think that you can buy new ones if the old ones get messed up. I don't recall the screws that you are referring to :confused: But I remember it not being an issue when I pulled the Nav to send to Todd V. for the Basstasters site. I hate rack rash so I'm on the anal side when pulling stuff in and out of my racks. Mine sits right on top of my Stewart 2.1. ;)

8. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I pulled the rubber feet off of mine. It sits on top of my Crown XS 700. I have pulled it out a couple of times without scratching anything.

9. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    +1

10. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I had mine in a six space rack, both in the middle and on top. never had a prob with either rash or heat.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    And with no extra ventilation, I presume? That's good to know, but I still kinda like Eric's idea of giving that tube a little more air.