1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Radial JDI or J48 DI box???

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Bluechain311, May 30, 2011.

1. Bluechain311

Bluechain311

May 5, 2011
    I play a EBMM Stingray 5. Pretty hot signal. I'm not sure if I should get the Radial JDI(passive) or the Radial J48(phantom power) direct box.Please help!!

2. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Doesn't make a big difference. Active DI's will drive longer signal feeds with less degradation than passive DI's but unless you're running 200ft of cable between the stage and the board, it won't be an issue.
    I have a J48 and love it good box.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The J48 has a 15db pad, so you shouldn't have any trouble with it. I use one to go from my Fodera into the board, and it works fine. I switched from a JDI by the way.

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

JDI because you can't count on a sound guy having or knowing about phantom power... some boards will send to all channels or none --- in 99% of instances I ban phantom use... it's risky to some gear..

5. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    If it's an active bass, I'd just go passive - you'll never have any ground loop worries. Don't overlook the ProDI - it doesn't sound quite as good as the JDI, but if the cost of the JDI is a burden, the Pro is a good substitute.

SteveC likes this.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You won't have any ground loop worries with the J48, either. The output is transformer isolated and has a ground lift.

7. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    This.

8. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Not entirely true - at least not if the guy has a Behringer bass rig ;-(

9. Bluechain311

Bluechain311

May 5, 2011
    Thanks for the advice you guys, much appreciated. I ended up getting a JDI. I haven't got a chance to check it out but will let you all know next gig!

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I've had both and currently use the JDI as my backup to the Mesa rig. I like the J48 just fine but again, for some soundboards and venues, phantom power gets you :wat: looks so it's just the safest. If I were using a DI as my main signal I maybe would consider the J48 again but to me they're both great.

11. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

I have had both for a long time. In my experience, most sound guys are used to using an active DI for bass. Also, the output of the J48 is considerably hotter than the JDI, and when I've used the JDI, sound techs sometimes complain about the signal being low (it's not actually that low... just not as hot as your usual active DI)

From my experience: 98% of the time, I use the J48.

However, if you bass has a hot output, the JDI will probably be fine for you.

dwade likes this.
  12. Bluechain311

Bluechain311

May 5, 2011
    I told you guys I ended up getting the JDI....And I couldn't be happier! It took the sound guy about 30 seconds to sound check me individually. It just sounded that good coming out of the PA. My tone was so amazing, I had a cheese-eating grin on my face the whole night, LOL! Again, thanks you all for your input, much appreciated.

13. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Glad it worked out for You...
    I love the tone JDI but I tend to use it more for at home stuff.
    Live I use the JDV and what you put it is what you get out...Its uber clean.

14. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Is it true? Can you/anybody please explain, esp. about the '200ft cable length"?

I like JDI but bit affraid to use it onstage, because all my basses are passive.

15. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    The J48 will amplify the signal (this will help with loss over a long cable) The JDI does not have a high output so a long cable will degrade the signal.

Peter Janis explains everything very well here.

Check out the J48 here
    YouTube - ‪Radial j48 advanced active direct box - explained‬‏

More info on the JDI
    YouTube - ‪The Radial JDI explained‬‏

16. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Thanks basswave, I haven't but I'll check the link later.

But before that; the thing I'd like to ask is about the" 200ft cable length"

17. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Once you get enough cable, the load that the DI sees starts to drop as the frequency goes up, causing a loss of highs - although for bass I doubt that this is a problem - keys and synth maybe, cymbal mics quite possibly. (It could be that the DI's transformer and the cable form a tuned circuit that causes audio anomalies, just like a guitar pickup and guitar cable. You'd have to ask Agedhorse over on the Harmony Central Live Sound forum.)

18. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Yeah I understand that.. So Should I not worry about using JDI with my passive Fender P-Basses onstage?
    I'm not really sure but I don't think the cable from the DI to the FOH exceed 200ft.

In studio it's not a problem, and I like that Radial JDI.

Actually I once e-mailed Radial ask about this subject, after read in their website they wrote like this about JDI:
    "..anyway, who wants to still use passive basses onstage today..."
    ...well I do.
    But they never reply my e-mail so I cancelled to buy Radial JDI then.

19. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Honestly the JDI is cool and like the tone as well, but its only a backup for me live.

I don't want to take the chance signal loss so I use the JDV.

I'm surprised about the reply to You about passive basses, those guys are indited and I know cannot reply to everything.

bluesdogblues You will never get a %100 complete answer from all the users on here regarding what you should use because every one has a different take.

I pretty much use only active basses and still use active DIs I would not even consider use the JDI with a passive instrument for a live application (unless it was my only option). Take that for what its worth.

20. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Thanks again basswave, yeah you give good point.
    Well, actually like I said, as much as I like JDI, I'm affraid to use it onstage since I only like to use passive basses.

Well, ok, maybe I better forget JDI for that purpose and look only for active DIs.
    Actually I like the REDDI too.