Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

radio stations?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by thewalrus81, Nov 11, 2004.

1. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    hey how would one go about sending a demo tape or something like that to a radio station to try and get air time on a local show or something? i dont really know what im talking about, so if that isn't even possible, please correct me and send me in the right direction.

thanks ;)

2. The unfortunate reality is that most commercial radio stations probably won't even look at your demo, unless they have a specific time block set aside for "local" music. Most radio stations get their CD's from label promoters and base their playlist off of industry play charts. However, it's likely that some station in your area has a local music show, so figure out which one and contact them. Another good option is college radio, which is often more open, in addition to local high school-based stations (if there are any). All most stations will want is a CD-quality track, so no mp3 or other compressed audio.

That's not to say there aren't exceptions - and since I don't know your radio market I couldn't say if there are any in your area. FYI - I've been working in radio for almost 15-years, both as a DJ in my early days and now in news. If that matters any....

3. If there's a local show, talk to that DJ, that's what they do- try to get good local bands for their show. College radio is great too. There's a really small 10w station at the college by our house (it has like a 2 mile radius on a good day :) ) and they play the best music, and the DJs I've talked to always want more new stuff.

4. agcarver

agcarver

Sep 14, 2004
    College radio is the way to go, I was a manager at our station in college, as well as playing in a band (conflict of interest?). We had to bring in our own CD's if we wanted any variety from the standard stuff so being in good with the local bands got you moremore music, thus people listened, which meant more people called the station, and thats good cuz its lonely in the DJ booth.

5. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    Check the web sites for the radio stations in your area that play your genre of music. My band plays indie/alt rock and we have two major stations here for that. They both have local shows on the weekends and on the web site there's a section for submitting your music. Or like Golden boy said, call or email the dj for the local show (or any show and ask if they have a local program) and ask if you can send in a demo.

Local shows on a major station are the way to go. They're looking for music. We get played just about every other week since we submitted our stuff.

College radio is also good. They get TONS of music (I used to dj at one). Best way to go is to listen to the programming and find a dj who's show you like which fits your music (or find the local show) and call them and talk about bringing/sending in a demo. If you just send it, it'll probably get shoved in the music library and never looked at if you don't know who to send it to.

Getting played with just all the other national bands on a major radio station is pretty much impossible right off the bat. Start with the local show.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    This is very true. I'd say that college radio is probably your best option. In any case, it's worth calling the stations in question to find out if it's worth sending to them or not. Speak to the Music Director or someone on his staff - make sure to get a specific name to send to. If you can get the name of the person who does the local music show or show in your genre, address your package to them.

Bear in mind that these people get a TON of music in and have to go through it all, and a poor recording quality is one of the first things that can land it in the outbox. Most reviewers will probably only listen to two or three tracks, and then maybe a minute of each unless it grabs their ear, so make it good! I did this for about three years (as a DJ, loud rock director and assistant music director) and many times I had to go through fifty to a hundred CD's a day. There is probably a BIG backlog so be prepared to wait a few months. Follow up with a phone call - if you're lucky the guy who reviews it will have talked to you and that will ring a bell.

Beauty of it is, though, if you send it DIRECTLY to a DJ of a specific show, it will probably bypass the normal review process and be checked out right away. The problem is, he/she can be as subjective as he/she wants to be, but if he/she doesn't like it, it's doubtful that anyone else at the station will get to hear it.

You should have a demo of at least three songs (nothing wrong with a full-length though) with a brief bio (no more than one page). Make sure the bio mentions that you are a local band, as these are FAR more likely to get airplay on a college station.

Good luck!

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You heard
    the word

College Radio

for now, the last bastion of independent music :crying:

This statement makes me miss the freedom of the 60's and 70's in radio and TV ... we are totally F-a-r-k-e-d, ABC affiliates wouldn't even show SAVING PRIVATE RYAN yesterday for fear of being fined by the facists in the FCC, musicians, don't write anything anti GOV, or ANTI TEXAS, you might be jailed!

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If what you're looking for is free advertisement from local radio stations, find someone at that station you can smooze with and offer some free gigs. Charity functions in particular. I have a standing once a year freebie that my band has done for about ten years now that gets us about 2 weeks of free radio ads every year. It has also gotten us many gigs because of the advertisement and has also gotten us in good with the local beer distributors who work closely with the radio station. The beer dist. often need bands now and then for beer tents at fairs, opening acts at concerts they sponsor etc...
    On the other hand if your trying to get your original music played on local commercial radio so you will get discovered and get a record contract, :rolleyes: I suggest you go to cdbaby.com and read all of the articles their about the music industry and indy music. Good place to start you education on the subject.