Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raezer's Edge 8" cabs vs Acoustic Image cabs

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Can anybody comment on the sound of the Raezer's Edge ONE 8 and Twin 8 cabs vs the Acoustic Image cabs?

I sold my Series I Coda because I decided the sound was a little muddy and also it was becoming a bear to carry, not specifically because of the weight - although that's always an issue, but because of the shape. Right now I'm using a Series II Coda. I find it clearer and more focused than the older model and a little less cumbersome to carry but I really do wonder about cabs with 8" speakers and I'm looking in particular at the RE speakers because so much good is said about them.

I love the weight and dimensions of the ONE 8 but even though my bass is loud, I'm not certain it would work for me in my loudest situation which is playing with trumpet, tenor sax, guitar, drums, playing Miles second quintet stuff with Tony Williams-style drumming on a mixed rock/jazz drum kit. I'm guessing the Twin 8 would be a better choice.

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    My friend Mark Kleinhaut uses the NY8 single-eight box. It is small. It sounds great for guitar.

It seems to bottom out at about 70Hz, making it all-but-useless for DB.

3. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've only tried one 8" cab (actually it had two 8" speakers and a 1" horn) but I think the bottom end frequency response is not really much of an issue at least for me. My bass gets plenty of fundamental and it's actually bottom-heavy if anything and will probably get "worse" once I put an extension on it too. The gut strings I use are probably a contributing factor. For sound reinforcment, what I really want is not so much on the bottom end but more on the mid and top end.

4. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I've got the EA208 and Raezer's edge 8T. The 8t was modified to be 4ohm so I get a lot more from my Clarus. I think the EA 208 is the best upright cab I've played through but I usually end up using the 8T on gigs because of the efficiency. It means I can bring the 8T and a clarus as opposed to the EA208 and my Walter Woods head.

The 8T sounds really good with upright, and even better with EUB. In fact EUB is what I always use it with because it has a lot of punch. With upright I like the Acme B1 for low volume gigs and the EA208 when I need a little more volume. The EA and Acme are very, very clean and the RE8T is a little more old school but not very colored, kind of warm and punchy.

5. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks that's really useful info. I've now ruled the Twin 8 off my list and I can believe Sam's comment that a single 8" just won't cut it although I know Chris Fitzgerald uses one of those single Falk 8" cabs for drummerless gigs and sometimes has two of them going.

Rich Raezer's descriptions on his website describing the Twin 8 as very tube-like had me wondering.

Chris Fitzgerald also swears by his VL208. Unfortunately it's just way too heavy for me.

Well not sure what to do now. I'd really like to try a 2 x 8" cabinet but I'm not sure what else would give me the transparency and clarity I seek. Perhaps I should just go for another Raezer's Edge cabinet like one with a 10" speaker. Perhaps I'd find it clearer and more focused than the AI cabinet.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Rolled off highs and lows and thick mids is how I interpret that one. Everything I see at the Raezer web site suggests it's the Polytone of the new millenium.

The real solution is to just blow the $$$, get one of the cabs and try it.

You're starting to really split hairs in your search to get something as tiny as possible to bring on the gig.

I understand your motivation but I got tired of the money pit and stopped with a 1-12" box which I can also use for my slab gigs.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's a fair description of my Raezer's Edge Bass 10. It does have its own voice, that's for sure, but once you get used to it, it somehow seems more full range. Still, no where near as accurate or uncolored as my EA or Accugroove cabs.

Adrian, if you are not willing to lug around a VL-208 (which I firmly believe is one of the best bass cabs ever made, even if it is quite heavy for its size), then I would try an Accugroove Tri 208, which is only slightly less heavy. If you really want something lightweight with two 8's (which I agree could be a great cab), I would contact Don at Low Down Sound (www.lowdownsound.com). He makes two different lightweight 2x8s (with and without tweeters), and is more than willing to make a custom enclosure.

Tom.

8. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks for that great tip Tom. I happened to be reading some of your comments on the EA Wizzy rigs when I received notification of your reply on this thread. I just spoke to Don and this avenue sounds like it has a lot of potential. Thanks.

9. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Question:

Why is it that Accugroove and Euphonic Audio both appear to have discontinued cabinets using 8" drivers?

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I didn't know that Accugroove was going to discontinue the Tri 208! I really can't say why they would do that, other than it seemed to have been designed for a different market than the rest of their cabs. Most of the Accugroove cabs are incredibly loud for their size, and I believe were designed to give you the most "sound for the pound" (heh, I just made that up!), whereas the Tri 208 seemed to have been designed with the studio cat in mind. It's not nearly as loud as the other Accugroove cabs that I have tried, but it would be incredible to record with (or for use where you want to be a bit louder, but don't want to sound "amplified").

As for the VL-208, I have heard that the incredible expense of construction associated with transmission line, 3-way, 5-driver cabs was one reason why they discontinued the line. If you find one used, though, they are built like tanks, and EA continues to provide great support, even to second-hand owners like myself.

I'm glad to hear that Low Down Sound was receptive to you. They are really a great bunch of guys, and their store is incredible. I really need to get back up there, just for the "kid in a candy store" drool-fest experience.

Good luck, Tom.

11. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I sent Accugroove a message asking why they discontinued it. It just seems a little disconcerting that two major manufacturers (and I think I saw a third recently too but can't remember who it is) would do this. I wonder if it's a case that the market is just not ready to accept 8" drivers with most bass players thinking bigger is better exclusively and then subsequently the manufacturers are forced to discontinue the line because lack of sales. I was interested to see Daedalus building their acoustic instrument cabs with 8" drivers. As you can tell, I'm one of those "slow upright" guys that is now getting outside the world of Acoustic Image and discovering what else is out there.