1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rained Out - ARRGH!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jaywa, Jul 30, 2012.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Two nights ago (Saturday)... booked as headliner on a 3-act street dance bill. Get to the town, everything's set up well (no tent though), gorgeous 85-degree clear day.

Get the lights and P.A. set up, no problems, 1st act (local band) goes on in perfect weather and sounds great. 2nd act goes on, a really good sized crowd starts filling in, weather's still great as it gets dark. I'm hangin backstage with my guitarist getting stoked to go on and play for all these people who were primed to party.

10 minutes before we're supposed to go on, Security dudes come back stage and say there's a huge rainstorm headed our way, 10 minutes out. Less than that it starts raining and by the time we can get everyone on stage it's coming down hard. Tear it all down, pack the trailer (twice... once in the rain and a second time once we got under cover and do it right). No show, end of night.

So basically I made a 4-hour roundtrip to be the road crew for the first two acts who got to do their full shows. The good news: 1) We had gotten paid in full, in advance; 2) I got home a couple hours earlier than I would have otherwise; 3) this part of the country really really needs rain and they got a soaker that night.

I joked with our BL that we should change our name to The Rainmakers and charge accordingly.

2. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
  3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yeah... the real sucky part of it was that this was our 4th outdoor show we've done this year and the first three the crowds were miserably small, primarily due to hot weather. This would have been the first decent crowd we played to all summer.

Oh well...