Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raleigh, NC Area Teacher Preferences?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by JJBluegrasser, Jan 31, 2006.

1. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hi all,
    So can any of you Raleigh based DB player recommend a teacher. I know some of the choices, but I'm looking for recommendations. I'd like to find someone layed back enough to work with what I've already got and push me to the next level.

2. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hi guys,
    I thought it might be time again to revive this thread, and see if anyone has any ideas?

Jason

3. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    There should be quite a few up there. Wait...that is where the North Carolina Symphony is right? I studied with Lenny Finkelshtyn for a while, and am jealous of anyone who studies with him permanently. He was one of the better, if not best, teachers I have ever had. I lost is ECU card with his number on it, his email is finkelshteynl@mail.ecu.edu though. Drop him a line, it's worth it.

also try and check out: Craig Brown (cmbrown4@earthlink.net)

if your doing jazz check out Steve Haines: 336-256-0105 or email: sjhaines@uncg.edu
    Good Luck,
    Peter

4. Jack Budrow is also in Raleigh. He was principal of the North Carolina Symphony before Lenny. His e-mail address is WBudrow@aol.com. I did my undergrad at Michigan State with him. He is an amazing teacher and a great guy in general. I also studied with Craig Brown at the Brevard Music Center for two summers. He is a very good teacher too. I've never met Lenny but I have only heard good things.

5. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Howdy Jason. For jazz, you've probably heard of Don Gladstone already. He lives in Cary, and I've got his # if you're interested.

I also heard Steve Haines play once at (the former) Cappers, and he sounded fantastic IMO. I think he's located west of us.

John Brown is the director of the jazz studies program at Duke, and he also teaches at UNC. He told me less than a month ago that he does teach private lessons, but has a pretty busy schedule. He might also be a good resource if you're looking for legit lessons v. jazz.

Sorry, I don't have personal experience taking lessons with any of these cats. Just what I've learned since moving here in '92.

6. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    I realize this is an older thread but I was wondering if there are any double bass teachers near Fayetteville, NC or if I'm best off making a trek to Raleigh.

I have played electric bass for ten years but have decided I need to make the transition. I started on upright in college with the Simandl method but all of my gigs were on electric and I was studying a lot of jazz so the double bass took a back seat (well, I guess she got out of the car) when I couldn't afford to rent the bass anymore. I still take other music and harmony lessons that are mostly piano based so I'm just looking to learn the instrument and would prefer a classical method ie Simandl.

I'm in Hope Mills and a drive to Raliegh would be around 1 1/2 hours. I'm wanting to take weekly lessons so any good teacher closer would work out great for me. Thanks.

7. Mesa

Mesa

Mar 20, 2008
    Holly Springs NC
    Just found out that we're moving to Raleigh in June, so I thought I'd bump this up. Any additions to the list? I've been studying with a Bay Area teacher for 2 years now, equal doses of Simandl and Jazz theory/practice. I'll look into local university programs to get some names, but I'd really appreciate any additional tips anyone could provide.

Thanks!!