Randall 215 cab mod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by foose4string, Feb 5, 2006.

1. foose4string

foose4string

Feb 4, 2006
    Maryland
    Need a few suggestions about possibly modifying an existing cabinet. First off, it has been a while since I have played bass, but I still managed to hang on to some equipment in the event I decided pick it up again. I have the original GK 400RB, Peavey TNT150, and a Randall Road Warrior 215. The GK head is obviously underpowered for the 215 cab, but I was wondering if it would be worth it to modify the cabinet to better match the400RB? The cabinet measures 34" high X 24" wide X 14" deep(OD), sealed. It is loaded with two Jaguar speakers, , one of which seems to be going bad anyway. Would it be worth it to maybe cut a new front baffle and customize the speaker configuration and perhaps utilize the known good 15"? It's nice having that bottom end but I would like to have a just a bit of punchyness that the 10" drivers deliver. Also, another goal would be to also get it to 4 ohms to match the head. Seems like a waste to let a perfectly decent cabinet go to waste seeing as decent drivers aren't all that expensive. Of course, I know squat when it comes to tuning or building a cabinet.

Or....should I just run a 2 x 10 extension on the TNT and be done with it? It has been several years since I played either rig, but both seemed just slightly underpowered, but then again I don't think I drove either amp to it's full potential. Or maybe I should run both amps in tandem? Not wanting to put major dollars into this, but trying to get a respectable volume and tone...still need to buy a bass after all. Any suggestions other than buying a brand new cab would be appreciated.

2. foose4string

foose4string

Feb 4, 2006
    Maryland
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pic of the cab. Ideas anyone? I had a 4 x 10 ampeg cab(not even sure if it was 4 or 8 ohm) for a short time which was a much better match for the Rb400, but still not quite right. I ended trading the ampeg cab in for a Trace Ta100 concert acoustic amp since my violin skills were requested. That was back in the late 90's, and somehow I managed to hang on to this hunk o junk cabinet. Seems like a perfectly good (big)box with potential, but 2 15's is just a bit much to ask from the GK...at least the way the cab is currently configured. Should I ditch one of the 15's and add a 10 and a tweeter. Any gear heads feel like helping me tackle this.... offer suggestions for cab (re)design?

Also, I noticed winisd is ok for pairing up like speakers but what about for multiple sized speaker configurations, or am I missing something?