Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Randall 215 cab mod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by foose4string, Feb 5, 2006.

1. foose4string

foose4string

Feb 4, 2006
    Maryland
    Need a few suggestions about possibly modifying an existing cabinet. First off, it has been a while since I have played bass, but I still managed to hang on to some equipment in the event I decided pick it up again. I have the original GK 400RB, Peavey TNT150, and a Randall Road Warrior 215. The GK head is obviously underpowered for the 215 cab, but I was wondering if it would be worth it to modify the cabinet to better match the400RB? The cabinet measures 34" high X 24" wide X 14" deep(OD), sealed. It is loaded with two Jaguar speakers, , one of which seems to be going bad anyway. Would it be worth it to maybe cut a new front baffle and customize the speaker configuration and perhaps utilize the known good 15"? It's nice having that bottom end but I would like to have a just a bit of punchyness that the 10" drivers deliver. Also, another goal would be to also get it to 4 ohms to match the head. Seems like a waste to let a perfectly decent cabinet go to waste seeing as decent drivers aren't all that expensive. Of course, I know squat when it comes to tuning or building a cabinet.

Or....should I just run a 2 x 10 extension on the TNT and be done with it? It has been several years since I played either rig, but both seemed just slightly underpowered, but then again I don't think I drove either amp to it's full potential. Or maybe I should run both amps in tandem? Not wanting to put major dollars into this, but trying to get a respectable volume and tone...still need to buy a bass after all. Any suggestions other than buying a brand new cab would be appreciated.

2. foose4string

foose4string

Feb 4, 2006
    Maryland
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pic of the cab. Ideas anyone? I had a 4 x 10 ampeg cab(not even sure if it was 4 or 8 ohm) for a short time which was a much better match for the Rb400, but still not quite right. I ended trading the ampeg cab in for a Trace Ta100 concert acoustic amp since my violin skills were requested. That was back in the late 90's, and somehow I managed to hang on to this hunk o junk cabinet. Seems like a perfectly good (big)box with potential, but 2 15's is just a bit much to ask from the GK...at least the way the cab is currently configured. Should I ditch one of the 15's and add a 10 and a tweeter. Any gear heads feel like helping me tackle this.... offer suggestions for cab (re)design?

Also, I noticed winisd is ok for pairing up like speakers but what about for multiple sized speaker configurations, or am I missing something?