1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(random rant) $2700 bathroom faucet.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by line6man, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    It's all relative. You can say the same exact things about any item that people enjoy spending money on.

"It's just a shirt. Why shop at H&M when you can get something for so much cheaper at Wal-Mart?"

"It's just a car. Why buy a Volvo when you could just get a Honda for much cheaper?"

"It's just a bass. Why buy an MTD when you could get a nice Fender for so much cheaper?"

Etc. etc. And before you say "well, the bass is noticeably higher quality" or whatnot, the vast majority of people would have no clue what the difference was.

2. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
  3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Wait, wait, wait. $180,000 just on hinges? Come on man... Give those people a good kick in something painful for me. Well, it gives you a good tip!

4. richnota

richnota Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    There is a lot of difference between high end hardware and the regular kind. An $800 door knob feels like a precision instrument (like a fine tool, watch or bass).

I just accept that i'm going to miss that experience.

5. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    If $2300 sounds like a lot for a faucet, then it's not for you. For some, it is completely reasonable.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    there is that I guess, if the physical characteristics make it more precise, more durable as well. I wasn't sure if those things were just pretty on the outside.

7. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I agree, thats a DAMN cool looking faucet

8. My goal in life is to own a $2700 faucet.

Then I'll know that I've "made it"

9. Thanks for the link! Now I'm going to put two in all 9 of my bathrooms.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The faucet part is cool. The handles are fugly. But I guess you could replace them with something nicer.

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Nobody missed your point. They just didn't agree with it.

12. I own one of those.

My address is

Captain Chaos
    123 Fake St
    Casselberry, Florida 12345

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    It's a bit like the old question:

Why does a dog lick his balls...

...Because he can.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I've worked on some really high end homes over the years and have seen this before.

People who shop in those price ranges live life on a level that most of us never will. They also probably pay $300 for a t-shirt, $175,000 for a car, $1,000 for light fixtures, and maybe even $300 for a door hinge. :D

To the OP....you will never really understand until you live the life. There is someone out there who bought the $29 faucet from WalMart, and can not believe how you could spend $133 on one.

-Mike

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I just stick a 10 dollar garden hose in there. It has a little twisty selector that can give me mist, funnel, flat, jet, or stream. The green plastic tubing matches well too.

16. I got a SOLID copper garden hose. LOL

17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I bet that looks awesome with water running through it. I wish they had a video of it running.

Kitchen and Bath fixtures are rediculous.

18. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA

I'm sure people have better things to spend 2700 dollars on. However, I think the problem you're missing is that you're looking at a Kohler faucet. Kohler is a top of the line product.

I am an engineer/designer. I went to school for industrial design and turned down a job to work doing design at Kohler. Not only is it 'just a faucet', it's also a piece of design or in an artist's point of view, it's a piece of art. To be honest with you, the Kohler probably works just like the faucet you bought, however I imagine it would function longer, the quality is better than what you bought, and to be honest, looks a heck of a lot better.

The faucet you bought was 200 dollars, but really primitive looking from a design standpoint. This as stated is like comparing an SX to a Fodera. Get where I'm going?

As someone who works in a field where things like this are made/designed and understands how it works, I say that faucet is well worth the money.

19. You spent $133 on a new faucet?

You rich money-mongers always rubbing your "discretionary spending" in our faces.

Now I feel so... put down. If I had the money to buy a bottle of Mad Dog, I certainly would. I think I'll just head down to the McDonald's dumpsters for dinner.

20. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    I can't imagine what a pain it would be to clean any errant spray or debris from between the crystals....ick.

But if I was buying a $75K toilet, I'm sure I wouldn't be the one cleaning it.