Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rant - crazy mom

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Alex, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [Rant=Alex]

OK I come home from school today and my mom is furious at me. Apparently she got a call from a teacher about something. I'm not really sure what I did yet, but the teacher that called really hates me, so I doubt that I did anything nearly as bad as what he described to her.

So she has me put my SVT 410HLF and B2R in the car, and she takes them to GC and sells them! I mean SELLS THEM. Really cheap too. I'm not sure exactly what she got, but I know that Guitar Center gives you almost nothing for used gear. She says she's keeping the money. She's just in an incoherent flurry of fury. I can't even attempt to penetrate her shell of irrationality. I don't know what to do. No I have no rig and a show this weekend. Not to mention that I'm out around 900 bucks.

Your parents ever doing something this crazy?

[/rant]

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm sorry that you have such a crazy mom. What did you do to the teacher?

3. I think he just hates my personality. Not quite sure.

What I think he called my mom about is when I borrowed my friends calculator for a test last week. He claimed that I was stealing it and sent me to the Dean. :scowl: :mad:

4. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Go talk to your teacher and ask him why he hates you, thats what I did with my Auto Mechanic's teacher.

5. I don't care if he hates me. I just want my amps back!

6. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Holy crap! And I thought my mom was a little cuckoo, I guess not. Her temper will blow over, but selling your gear? That's pretty damn intense and seems kind of irreversible to me. Knowing GC you'll go back there and they'll be selling your stuff for 150% or more of the price your mom got for it. If I were you I would try to convince her to go buy back your gear or buy you a new rig, although i don't know your mom, so who knows how that would go. I'm just being curious, but did you use your own hard-earned money to buy the amp/cab in the first place or did someone else chip in? If it was all your own money, you could try the whole, "It's MY gear and you have no right to touch it" shtick, then again I don't know how that would blow over. If I were you I would be furious and probably on the way down to the local pawn shop with her jewelry collection, but that's just me. I hope you get this situation worked out.
    -Alex

7. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Wow Tough one. I would have at least made her load the car herself. I mean, how much more trouble could you be in?

8. According to your profile, that gear was for sale anyway...

Seriously though, there are three sides to every story, so give us the deal with your teacher. What's your GPA? Do you hassle him?

Also, did you pay for that gear yourself? If not, your mom owns it.

9. Who paid for the gear originally? Your mom or you? If you did, it could be technically illegal for her to sell the gear without your permission. You may want to consider filing a police complaint, though that could open up a whole 'nother can of worms, obviously.

10. I don't know how pleasant living in my house would be if I sued my mom, eh? :rolleyes:

I actually considered that, but If you want to get all technical, I used her credit card, and then transferred money from my bank account to hers, so it's technically in her name, eh?

11. 4.0 no joke.

12. I think you need to sit down with your mom, after she calms down a bit, and explain your side of the story. Tell her you didn't appreciate her selling your stuff and what a bad situation this has put you in. If she tries to go off on a rant again, be firm and don't let her walk all over you.

13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

There's something seriously wrong with your mother. She overreacted and did something irreversable before hearing your side of the story. Sounds like she has been waiting to do this for a long time and now she had an oportunity. From your side of the story, it does sound like it's completely her fault. I think the best thing to do is talk this over with her, and maybe your dad should be there if he's on your side?

14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Sorry man! If you bought the gear, that's not right! A few more years and you'll have some more freedom...

My parents weren't supportive of my playing music (didn't matter that I had a 4.0 either) but they never tried anything that crazy.

If I lived nearby, I'd loan you my rig for the show.

Marshall

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Holy crap!!!:eek: I thought Ed's mom was mad. Ed, btw, is a friend of mine who was trying to get a scholarship into a big art school. He gathered all of his work to take to the board the next day. His mom joined some cult, and felt that art was of Satan, so she cut up ALL of his drawings and paintings. :mad: :scowl: BTW, I know this is going to sound crass, but I'd ask for that money, if she refuses, then I'd get even. I'm not suggesting YOU do this, I'm just saying what I'd do.

16. I called my dad after she left with my gear and asked him to try to talk my mom out of it, hesided with her, but said that I should have her call him. I called my mom at GC and had her call my dad. She called my dad and he agreed that she should sell it. He said QUOTE "You are lucky she didn't take your bass." !!! Is there no sense in this world?!?

A few minutes later, she called me back even more furious and said that if I call GC again I would be in QUOTE "More trouble than I could imagine." Even though I never imagined that I could be in this much trouble in the first place. :rollno:

I'll give her a few weeks to cool off and then ask for a reasonable amount of money to compensate for what she has done. Take her on a guilt trip. That might do it. Hey - you never know. Maybe in a few weeks there will be a thread in the Amps forum titled "New Aggie rig!!!"

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You know you've truely made it in the TB Offtopic community when you post a rant thread about your mom.

Cmon little buddy...give us a hug...you're one of us now.

18. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    :eyebrow:
    Don't do this, Alex. Bad strategy. Remind her about your 4.0.
    "I realized that I wasn't going to be a jerk right back. I'll be the better person."

Attaboy. Stick with the good karma approach. And you better line up a loaner rig for your gig, in case she doesn't relent. Good luck.

19. That's rough dude - I don't know how I'd react if one of my parents did something like that to me. Property is property...

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Not to be a jerk, but sounds like there's more to this story than we're hearing. I, as well, would like to hear the other sides of the story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.