Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rap appreciation!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I havent seen a rap appreciation thread yet on TB but im hopping there are more TBers out there who enjoy rap like myself. Personally I LOVE rap along with many other genres of music like blues ,jazz ,funk, rock, regae etc. etc. So pretty much in this thread we can just chat about what kind of rap we like and other stuff!

Personally im a Biggi fan :cool:

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I only like rap where there is interesting stuff going on the track. If it's just a souless beat with an awful keyboard riff... no dice (sorry Fiddy Cent). But a hard groovin' track with enough variation to hold my interest... oh yeah. Real musicians help a lot... Roots... Beatie Boys... etc.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The Roots, Outkast, BEP, Gorillaz, others I can't remember.

Yeah, they're awesome.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I listen to tons of it.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was wondering how long it would take YOU to get here. :smug:

6. I don't have many rap cds, but I do like a bunch of it.

The Roots, Beastie Boys, what I have heard from Gorillaz, Atmosphere, some Outkast, and I like some of the mainstream stuff for the phattness(car audio).

Oh yeah, Blackilicious, great stuff.

7. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    But is it really music :confused: or just a loud guy with a microphone :rollno:

8. Malodorous

Malodorous

May 19, 2005
    Illinois
    Do or Die, Aesop Rock, Mr Lif, Jurassic 5 are a few of my favorites. Not all really "rap" but part of the generalization.

My friend just showed me a song by Twista called "From the Tip of My Toungue" that opens with a nice jazzy walking bass then Twista starts in with his signature super fast rapping, pretty cool stuff. Check it out.

9. Malodorous

Malodorous

May 19, 2005
    Illinois
    Music.

10. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Dr. Dre all the way!

The Chronic was the most musical rap album I've heard.

11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    All of it has a beat, most of it has a bass line behind it, and a lot of rappers have great phrasing and sense of rhythm. Definitely music, man.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't like most "bling bling/bitches and hoes" rap, but I dig hip hop. Del, Heirogylphics, Blackstar, some Roots, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, J5, etc.

13. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I'll second that. My band covers still dre.
    So I don't like rap much at all. But I love to cover it with my band.

14. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I like alot of different types of rap beastie boys are great Rage against the machine all that stuff but I also like gangsta rap. I know it has little to no lyrical value because its almost always about gangs ,killing people ,and girls. I guess what I like about it is just the beat and the rhythm of the entire song and the anger expressed by them. ex. biggi , snoop dog , wu tang clan etc.

and for the people who say "rap isnt music" because its so much easier to do than rock or jazz , you are just as bad as people who say bass is easier than guitar. You have to do things because you love them.

15. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia

aint that the truth. :D

mike elizondo lays down some of the phattest grooves anywhere :D

pretty much anything dre does is awesome, jay-z unplugged album was simply stunning, snoop dogg (mainly produced by dre, so that explains alot). in absolute honesty, i HATE todays commercial garbage. in australia we NEVER had the gangsta rap that you yanks had on the radio. so the public thinks that eminem and 50 cent, g-unit, etc etc are what rap is all about :rollno:

also some of the older puff daddy stuff was cool, biggie, nwa, ice cube... the list just goes on.

i gotta admit, i'm addicted to the pocket :D

16. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I love rap for the bass lines and especially the drum beats. I mainly like "old school" rap or newer music like the Roots or Black Eyed Peas. Gangsta Rap is horrible but if the beat or bass line is right, I can get into it and ignore the lyrics.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Easier than jazz maybe, but that's an unfair comparison, because so is rock, and just about every other form of popular music. But when you say it's easier than rock, then you should ask yourself, could you(or any rocker) do it? convincingly to a point where a real head would dig it?

If you ask me, most rock is just as easy as most rap. That is to say, radio rock and radio rap are both dumbed down and simple and neither is any easier than the other necessarily.

It's the good stuff, the more obscure maybe, or more creative and innovative stuff that is challenging in both genres. I sure as hell can't rap like pep love, or gift of gab- the way those guys flow is mesmerizing to me, I get the same feeling as when I listen to victor wooten, I can't make beats that good either, and I try all the time, but there is something that I'm missing, a good rap beat has a certain level of subtlety and depth that is easily missed but is crucial to the sound. I also can't rock out like (insert whatever 'good' rock group, I don't really know, I don't follow rock music)

The reason, why good hip hop is never 'easy' is because it is so largely dependent on creating a good feel and a good groove. Technical difficulty is wholly unrelated.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Robot knows.

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I appreciate rap when it is played at a location far from the one I am at.

20. See "Slap is dead" thread. Substitute "Rap" for "Slap"

Rinse. Repeat.

Randy
    "Why do they make vegetarian hot dogs? There's barely even trace amounts of meat in there anyway, unless you count meat byproducts."

PS Rap isn't music, and Singers aren't musicians, and drummers aren't humanoid. Rock music isn't music, just loud noise, can't even hear the words! Elvis was evil. Only Fender electric basses are acceptable. Only Fender Rhodes electric piano's are acceptable. Electric basses have no place in "real" music, only uprights. Money ain't pants. Blah Blah Blah. Just go back in time and the specifics change, but the attitude never does. The new thing is never accepted, until the next new thing comes along and makes it look tame in comparison. Herpes was terrifying until AIDS came along. Now people go " THANK GOD!!! I"ve got HERPES!!!".

Already old school rap has graduated to kind of cool, compared to the Gansta Rap Bitches and Ho's stuff, right? Bust a move, Fresh Prince, "I like big butts".

Don't believe me? Mr. "Gin an Juice" Snoop Doggy Dog is selling products now in mainstream advertising spots.

Like Darwin says, we must adapt or die.