Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rap Beats

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stephen S, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    When somebody makes a rap beat for someone to rap over, do they create an entire say, 3 minute long track, or do they make a loop and let the rapper choose when to end the song. I've always wondered how this works.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Every rapper and every producer has a different style. Some guys will base a whole track around a 2 or 4 bar sample, which loops throughout with added ornamentation from scratching, additional samples or hits. Some guys change the beat up for every rapper on the track, some guys meld traditional jazz forms and cadences with their beats. Etc...etc...etc. Like all forms of music, there is no set paradigm with how to make it. When I make beats for myself I typically do them with the lyrics in mind, with sections and variations to fit where the vocals are at.

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    so really you can make a whole beat, or a loop, or really anything, and let the artist take his or her pick?

4. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Lets say you made one of these beats and found someone who was interested in buying these beats. Would you sell it like a normal song, like .99 cents to a bunch of different people or would you sell it for a bigger fee with royalties and all that stuff?