1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rat vs. Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ShredTilYerDead, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ShredTilYerDead

ShredTilYerDead

Dec 25, 2010
    LA, CA
    Seems like there's a lot of threads like this around, but I wanted to try and get a bit more specific with my bass distortion. The Rat and the Russian Big Muff seem to be the most common uses bass pedals to get some dirt on your tone. I want some distortion without losing low end. Also, keeping definition in my notes is key. I feel like with a fuzz pedal you don't get definition, but an overdrive pedal might not keep the low end! I play a jazz bass with a pick thru a Mesa 400+ head. Any suggestions would rule! Thanks!

2. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I used to have a black Russian Big Muff pedal that I really liked, gonna try to snag another one pretty soon. Using an Ibanez PD-7 overdrive currently, I like its consistency and attack, moreso than the Muff had (the Muff is more over the top and less definition)

theunknowndude likes this.
  3. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    One way of solving that is blending the distorted sound with a clean sound. You get a good dirty sound but with the low end and punch of a clean tone. Dialing it in to your taste you can have the best of both worlds with either one.

4. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    I use a Boss LS-2 to blend my clean signal with my distorted signal from my Turbo Rat. It gives the 3 piece band I jam with sometimes a much fuller sound than if I went clean. The LS-2 keeps me from losing any clarity and bottom, and the distortion on top of that just adds a heaviness, and a fullness to the whole thing. I would recommend it.

5. Rat vs Big Muff...that is so 1989

Coke Kane likes this.
  6. agreed. nowadays its more about clones of the pedals. actually to the op post maybe look into some of the clones of the pedals that fix the problems they both have.

7. Rat is going to cut some lows. Big Muff is going to lose definition. Period.

However, there are clones of both pedals that address both of these problems. The Blackout Effectors Musket, for example, is a Big Muff clone that has additional controls (pre-gain, mids, and focus) that allow you to dial in a more defined (and less muffled) tone. Great pedal from a great builder.

8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I have to disagree, fellas...
    As a builder of said pedals, you can easily find a muff that retains its voicing and nature while adding articulation and clarity, but the muff needs mods.

The same goes for RATs and their clones. You can find clones/variants that retain low end and have tons of options to give you what you're looking for in a OD/distortion.

Unfortunately, you can find either pedal in a music chain. One must look to the boutiquers.

theunknowndude and Matt Dean like this.
  9. I think we are all saying the same thing overall though. These circuits have to be modded or re-envisioned a bit to become awesome, viable pedals for bass players that aren't willing to accept the original pedals' limitations.

10. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    I do the same, Turbo Rat clean blended with an LS-2, I also use DS-1's and others. the LS-2 is a great tool.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    So why would you not use a stock Swollen pickle for this? Is there a low end loss or a loss of definition with the Swollen Pickle?

12. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    People actually complain of too much low end with the SP to the point of blowing speakers. It takes a lot of tweaking with the internal an external trims to find the sweet spot.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I'm never going to settle on a fuzz pedal if I keep talking to you. :p

14. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    swollen pickle is awesome. it does have a lot of lows, ive managed to nail my settings well enough that its pretty close to my clean signal's lows. there are 5 knobs to mess with(2 of which are internal) and getting the right combination can take an age.

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Well it could. Unless, you know, you just post up yours. ;)

16. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Both are fun to mess with. If I had to go with just one, it would be the muff (or more preferably, the Bluebeard). A Rat might be *slightly* more defined but is nearly useless without an EQ pedal to boost the low end as far as holding down the low end goes, and if you're going to buy two pedals anyways then just get them both.

17. If you are looking for bass friendly Rats and Muffs(the jokes could write themselves, also they would be disgusting)click the Fuzzrocious Pedals link in rratajski's sig. No need to mod or clean blend anything.

18. Grrface

Grrface

Jun 26, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Or, if you want a clone of either of those pedals that won't lose your low end, look at either the Grey Stache, a muff clone, or the Rat Tail, a Rat clone from Fuzzrocious.

Just in case you were getting close to a decision.

19. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    the problem with boutique pedals is that you can't audition them at a music chain, unless it's a boutique line that they happen to carry.

20. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    But when you have about 50 or so TB'ers who own a pedal from people like us, Iron Ether, SS/BS, Baddy One Shoe, or Wren and Cuff, you can get everything you need from loaners, audio clips, video, etc.