1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

rattle or buzz entire string

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jamersonburton, Jun 12, 2018.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    So I put on a new set of strings on my Fender Pbass (went from Rotosound 45-105 to Ernie Ball 50-105) because I'm going into the studio in a few days to continue a session that had been recorded with Ernie Ball strings. I knew since I'm changing strings that a setup was to be expected. The A, D, and G string are all perfect! The tone in my head. The E string however, has a pretty bad issue.

1) The low E is a little dead
    2) Every single note, open and fretted, on the E string is buzzing. It doesn't sound like typical fret buzz, more like a fuzzy sort of buzz or a cross between fret buzz and rattle.

Okay, no big deal right?
    Here is what I have tried so far:

1) I thought it might be a twisted string so I do the typical losen it enough and then restring it routine
    Still very thumpy and that damn buzz is still happening on every note of the E string.

2) I figured if I went up in guage, then tightening the truss rod should do something possibly? I did 1/8 of a turn and let it sit for a while. A, D, and G string all play even better, the neck is the way I like it, but the E string is still buzzing at every fret.

3) I raised the action of the E string but the buzzing is still there.

4) I have checked for rattle. Tightened all the screws including those for the pickup, everything on the bridge seems tight, tuners are tight, volume knob, 3 way switch (it's been converted to a pj), and output jack, and strap buttons all seem fine, string tree is tight.

and I'm still getting that buzz. I've never encountered this issue before with any strings on this bass or on any other bass I've had for that matter.

Oh, and this buzz happens acoustically and also when I'm playing through my Focusrite Solo recording interface.

The deadness of the string bothers me a bit but there's not much I can do about that since I'm going into the studio to cut a track and I can't afford another set of strings. The buzz however will cause problems so if any of you techs or setup-proficient human beings know how to get rid of this god awful buzz, please let me know!

2. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    You posted on the double bass side. I'm sure people here can help, because many play both instruments. But you might have better look on the BG side.

3. You got a bad string. Email Sterling and ask for a replacement. Be polite, because he’s salty.