Raves for Oscar Stagnaro's "Latin Bass Book"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RunngDog, Dec 29, 2004.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    After some price-tag related hesitation, I bought myself a copy of Oscar Stagnaro's "Latin Bass Book" for Christmas. I've been playing through it the past couple of days, and all I can say is WOW!

This is one of the best instructional packages I've ever purchased. The seemingly high price tag (I think I paid around $35) is deceiving, since what you get for that price is equal to about three standard instruction packages -- 261 pages of transcription material and 3+ hours of recorded material on three disks. Unlike lots of instructional packages that provide a disk full of little 10-20 second examples, the Stagnaro disks contains only full pieces, typically 3+ minutes in length, played by Stagnaro and a top-notch group of musicians. Good enough to listen to just for the pleasure of the music -- and lots of fun to play along with as well.

The only negative (for some people) is the lack of tab notation. But if you can read standard even a bit, this package should be a great way to improve your sight reading skills.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    $35 ain't jack for what you get with this book!

i think this is a great book and oscar is a great player and educator!

3. Great book! I also listen to the CDs for pleasure.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D

me too! i have them playing in my car...people think i'm weird ;)

5. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Same here ... but people really don't think I'm weird -- the CDs are that good.