Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raves for Oscar Stagnaro's "Latin Bass Book"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RunngDog, Dec 29, 2004.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    After some price-tag related hesitation, I bought myself a copy of Oscar Stagnaro's "Latin Bass Book" for Christmas. I've been playing through it the past couple of days, and all I can say is WOW!

This is one of the best instructional packages I've ever purchased. The seemingly high price tag (I think I paid around $35) is deceiving, since what you get for that price is equal to about three standard instruction packages -- 261 pages of transcription material and 3+ hours of recorded material on three disks. Unlike lots of instructional packages that provide a disk full of little 10-20 second examples, the Stagnaro disks contains only full pieces, typically 3+ minutes in length, played by Stagnaro and a top-notch group of musicians. Good enough to listen to just for the pleasure of the music -- and lots of fun to play along with as well.

The only negative (for some people) is the lack of tab notation. But if you can read standard even a bit, this package should be a great way to improve your sight reading skills.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    $35 ain't jack for what you get with this book!

i think this is a great book and oscar is a great player and educator!

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Great book! I also listen to the CDs for pleasure.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D

me too! i have them playing in my car...people think i'm weird ;)

5. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Same here ... but people really don't think I'm weird -- the CDs are that good.