RE-reissued Danelectro Longhorn Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedGrange, Feb 5, 2006.

1. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I saw on Danelectro's website they are bringing back the Longhorn bass again... anyone see these anywhere yet? I've always wanted one and I can't seem to find one online.
  2. At a price like that, how could you refuse?
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I was absolutely ecstatic to get my old limo-black longhorn back recently... I had sold it to raise money for a Katrina donation and regretted it ever since. Recently traded a Dano g****r to the guy in return for the longhorn and we are both happy campers! Absolutely nails the vibe for my roots/rock group!

4. SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    They look cool, but I think they are made of plywood :(. I'd want one if they were made of ash or alder or some decent wood...
  5. jsbach1982

Feb 11, 2005
    Denton, TX
    Not plywood. Masonite. You make countertops out of it, or you used to. No wood in the bodies at all, actually, not sure about the necks.'s all part of the mojo.

6. Yup, masonite over a frame that is probably made from old pallates ;)

One of my basses is a Longhorn reissue that I bought about 5 years ago. It is the "pro" version with individually adjustable saddles, upgraded tuners (sealed, with metal knobs) and a bit thicker neck than the standard models.

I bought it from a shop new for $220 - I believe that included tax. Now, they are on ebay all the time and the prices seem to vary quite a bit.

This new wave of reissues has a different headstock shape and a different control layout than the one that I have. Mine has a pair of concentric knobs for vol/tone of each pickup instead of what looks like master controls and a 3-way switch on the newer ones.

AKAIK all of the Dano longhorns (new and reissue) are 30 inch scale with 24 frets, as are all of the Jerry Jones Longhorn IV models. IME the Jerry Jones instruments are much more solid though the Evets/Dano that I have is not too bad. I am still kicking myself for passing up a Jerry Jones in nice shape for $300 a few years back.

Basses of this type are such a different animal from anything else that I have a hard time describing the sound and feel. Definately fun but not for every type of player or music.

7. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I had an original Dano Longhorn as my first bass in 1961. I played it until I got the money together for a P bass.

The Dano wasn't bad. Didn't sound very much like a bass in those days, probably because of the amps we used then. It came with roundwound strings and had wooden control knobs.

I bought it in Seattle for $80. It was a store demonstrator. I never liked it much but it was cheap and I learned to play on it.

I have one of the newer Korean made DC models now, strung with flatwounds. It's actually a better built bass than the originals. The DC has a 34" scale length. Great when muted with a bit of foam. Simulates an upright better than any of the boutique electic acoustics. The fretwork is better than most USA Fenders.
  8. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    Anyone seen these back in a store yet?
  9. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I definitely want one, but I haven't found anyplace that has em yet, online or otherwise. I'll be keeping an eye out, though.
  10. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I had an original '58 or '59. Sounded much better than it had any right to. I had flats on mine. Swapped it even on a new T-40 back in the early '80s.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Those longhorns look awesome with 2 F Holes.

Are you talking about adding f-holes to a Dano or about the plywood bodied longhorn knockoffs (usually sunburst) that used to come with f-holes? I think those were sold under the Cort name but I'm not sure. I have never seen a masonite bodied Dano with f-holes. They may exist but I have not seen one which is why I'm asking.

13. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I still think a longhorn with flats nails the old mic'd upright sound.......just does it for me
  14. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Whatever it's made out of, that design works. :)
  15. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I wish I could find some other pics besides those website pics. It's hard to tell exactly what they did different, if anything.

The ad says "pro hardware". If they changed the hardware, that would be wise. The original reissues copied the originals, and I guess some people loved that, but the tuners on those were wretched, and the bridge wasn't too swift either.

If they made Longhorns with:
    - Real tuners
    - Good, adjustable bridge
    - No side tape [always looked terrible to me]
    - both 30 and 34" scales
    I think they'd maximize this new round of manufacturing.

If anyone can post links to other pics, please do. Thanks.
  16. The "pro" models of the previous reissues, like the one I play, were a bit better than the base models - sealed tuners (not the best but a big improvement), bridge with individually adjustable saddles - plenty of string length adjustment but only a little range wrt string height, slightly beefier and more stable neck. These models are a definate step up from the base models, they feel better to me overall, but there is still plenty of room for improvement. The thing that people need to remember is that even the more expensive pro model longhorn reissues only went for a street price of around $230 to $280 when they were new. Not a particularly high end price.

I have played the 34" scale DC reissues. They definately carry the Dano vibe but less frets than the longhorn. If a 24 fret longhorn 30" scale bass was scaled up in proportion to the added neck length, the body would be huge. IMO you have to keep the current body size (and have fewer frets clear from the body or a longer neck protrusion and a change in balance) or a change in body proportions would be required since short scale's body is already surprising wide (wont fit in any standard case) and totally uncontoured. I'm sure the shape and size could be tweaked to work

In addition to the Hondo longhorns - solid body 34" scale, a lot of people have home and custom made solid body longhorns both short and long scale. I have seen some beauties floating around over the years. It all depends if you are after just the shape and the upper fret access or if you are also looking for the Dano type vibe, sound and feather light weight.

17. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
  18. I have played a couple of the older JJ longhorns. They are generally higher quality, though they were using vintage style Kluson guitar tuners on the basses at one time, a big disadvantage. One advantage they have is that the truss rod is adjustable without pulling the neck off. The hardware JJ uses has evolved over the years so different eras will have different bridges and tuners. The older first generation intonateable bridge was an option at one point.

JJ is back to offering two body shapes that also have other differences - Neptune style and Classic Longhorn style. For a while he was only offering the Neptune. I have seen both in person many times but have only played the classic ones.

The JJ basses have a different resonance than any Dano I have ever played. The whole instrument feels a bit more massy and solid. My guess is that the primary resonant frequency of the body is lower with fewer higher frequency harmonics jangling around within the body. My impression of the JJ pickups are that they are a little bit smoother than the Danos but in the same general ballpark .

JJ also uses a different control setup than the last round of Dano reissies. Dano has two concentric pots for volume and tone of each pickup while JJ had a 3 position pickup switch with master volume and tone.

I should add that the fretwork is decent on the Danos but much nicer on the JJ and the JJ stay in tune better. The non-pro Dano reissues are really terrible about staying in tune while the Dano pros are somewhere in between, a lot better than the standard Danos but not up to the JJs.

That is about all I can think or off the top of my head ;)

19. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    ...........then they wouldn't be danelectro's :D :D :D

Honestly though, i could echo the request for better tuners and bridge.......but you have to draw the line somehwere......the idiosynrancies of a danelctro are an inherent part of the design and ultimately the tone and vibe.

I'm now gasing for a longhorn!
  20. Also putting real (read heavy) bass type tuners on a Dano = neck dive.