1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Re-wiring my cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neatobassman, Nov 2, 2006.

1. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    I have a yamaha 6x10 that currently is wired all in series. Yep, all 6 speakers. I want to do it in series/parallel now. My question is, where do I buy the speaker wiring at? Is there specific types I should, or should I just take plain old speaker wire and solder it to the speakers?

Thanks guys.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    16 ga speaker wire is fine, but be very sure of what you're doing, as you'll drop the cab impedance by 75% if you go 3/3. I can't imagine why they'd be wired series, make sure they aren't some oddball low impedance drivers.

3. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    na, I checked and they are 8 ohms. I was dumbfounded when I saw they were in series. It looks like someone did it themselves because there's tape everywhere. Explained why the cab was so quiet. lol. If I did my math right, it should bring it down to 12 ohms, correct?

4. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    3/3 would be 12 ohms. Pairs in series, the three banks in parallel would give you 5.3, which might be better.

5. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    true, but I'm also running a Mesa/boogie 2x15 and I think it's 8 ohms, and I want to run both. I really need to open up my mesa though and find the ohms out because it has no serial plate or anything like that.

6. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The Mesa is probably 4 ohms, loaded with EVM15Bs or Mesa EV clones. Meaure the DCR (about 80% of impedance) and you don't have to open it. I can't imagine needing both, let alone lugging both. The Mesa with a 1x10 or even better a vertically aligned 2x8 atop for some midrange dispersion should be plenty.

7. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    Yea, I'm actually looking to get rid of the 6x10 for something smaller if I don't like the new sound.

Also, how do I measure the DCR?

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    With a VOM or DMM (if you had one you'd know what it was).

9. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    So do I just stick the probes into the input jack or is there a certain place to place them.

10. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    You said the drivers were 8 ohm? How did you determine that? You would need to measure them disconnected with an ohm meter to be sure. It is very strange that they are all wired in series. :meh: I would take a ohm reading at the input connector before doing the mods.

11. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    The speakers said 8 ohms on the back. And when testing that, what is the proper process so I can get an accurate reading? I've got a DMM

12. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Plug in a cable, take the reading off the other end.

13. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    Wow, that's simple. Thanks for the help man.

14. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I am curious as to the reading you get from the input connector of the cabinet.
    If all the drivers are in series you should read about 48 ohms. Is that what you are getting?

15. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    DC resistance would be closer to 36 ohms.

16. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Ya, you are right. It's been a while since I have made that measurement, thanks Bill!

17. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    Yea, I tested the cab and it read about 48 ohms and the mesa tested 4 ohms.

So if I were to wire the cab to 12 ohms and then run the 12 and the 4, it would run down to 3 ohms right?

18. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Yes, but doing so 75% of your signal would go to the 2x15, 25% to the 6x10, so for all intents and purposes the 6x10 might as well not be there. That's why I suggested you get it down to 5.3 ohms, low enough to actually do something. That would make the total load 2.3 ohms.

19. I realize the intent to balance the power distribution, but I think we should know what head he's using. It may not be stable at that low an impedance...

I'm no expert...correct me if I'm wrong...:D

sean

20. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    An amp that won't handle 2.3 ohms won't handle 3 ohms either.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 20, 2021