Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Real Book Chart Site Update!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Phil Smith, May 5, 2004.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Greetings folks and I'm hoping my shameless self promotion is in the correct forum. :D

http://www.realbook.us

For those of you don't know, this site is host to the chord charts of over 500 tunes, the majority of them being Jazz standards. The cool thing about the site is the ability to transpose the chart to any key. The site has just gotten cooler. I have recently added a java applet to the site that allows you to hear the harmony of the chart in whatever key you select.

Check it out, I'd love to hear your feedback.

2. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    That's pretty useful, thanks.
    :)

Edit: how do you play it?

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    When you select a chart and then select a key for that chart the playback applet should appear.

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    I thought I would bumb this thread as the site now includes over 800 tunes and it has a playback applet that loops at any tempo for any chart in whatever key you desire.

Enjoy and happy holidays!

5. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I got a app for my iPhone that has the Real Book and changes keys, but no melodies just chord changes, but playing bass that is good enough. Is that your doing too, it's cool.

6. Peredur

Peredur

Jul 7, 2002
    Wales
    Very cool indeed. All my students will join up when term starts again! Thank you very much.

7. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I'll have to take your word for how cool the site is. Everytime I try to register, when I get to the word at the bottom, I input it and it tells me the word must be at last six letters. But the word is only five letters long. I'm on a Mac by the way. I assume you PC guys aren't having this problem.

8. I'm having the same problem. I've reloaded the page several times and I keep getting 5 letter words and an error message that it needs to be 6 letters.

9. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I'm thinkin' they want your username to have six letters. It shaded that entry box for me.
    Also had to enter the five letter code word (different each time) in six times before it "took".
    I'm also running Mac.

EDIT: Nice! Even comes with a "Roman Numeral" option!! :cool:
    ALSO: You may have to refresh or "remind" your Java Applet. Hey – is that Bruce Lindfield on keys? ;)

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I don't have a lot of time, but the few tunes i picked said "no sound" at the bottom :(

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Your password and your username needs to be at least 6 characters.

12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    That usually means you have java disabled or you don't have the java VM from Sun Microsystems installed.

13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    I haven't developed an iPhone version, do you have the name of the application?