1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Realist + Flightcase = Hum

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Rvl, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Having problems with my Realist humming with my Flightcase
    Anyone else having the same problem?

Or is there a problem with my Realist?

Thanks

Robert VanLane

2. According to my investigation, Realist pickups produced at certain period (aprox. 2 - 3 years ago, but this might not be absolutelly correct) used to have hum. At that period they also produced two distinctivelly sounding Realists. Now they went back to the originally sounding pickup with no hum.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    I've been selling Realists, lots of Realists, for a long time. I am not aware of any hum issues with Realist pickups at any period of time in the last several years.

Try a different cable, a different environment, and a different amp if necessary to determine if the pickup is at fault before throwing in the towel.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    IMHO - The Realist needs a preamp at least for all the amps and boards I've tried. The hum may be coming from the impedance mismatch and having to raise the gain enough it may just be picking up stray hum. Nothing expensive, just a decent preamp.

5. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Thanks everyone
    I played through all of my amps and pre's and came to the conclusion that something is wrong with my Flightcase

Unfortunately i talked to the dealer and they told me the 1 year warranty is up last month. I have sent email to PJB about this problem and a problem with my limiter distorting. They have responded but are not sure what the problem could be,without looking inside.

Will have to carry my EA Wizzy 12 combo. Great sound but a touch bit too bulky and heavy to carry on trains,planes and buses

Thanks

Robert