1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Realist + Sadowsky outboard + Demeter 201S

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by WovenGraphite, Apr 3, 2006.

1. WovenGraphite

WovenGraphite Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Bay Area, California
    Just wanted to give some impressions on my DB setup.
    I have the realist mounted under the E leg of the bridge, out to a Sadowsky outboard preamp which goes into a Demeter active input.
    The Sadowsky has a volume button and a 2 frequency boost only circuit (40Hz and 4 kHz). The volume is set 75%, 40hz is set at 40%, 4 kHz is set at 60%.
    The dem has its treble at 40%, mids 80% and bass 50%. Presence is 50%. Presence range is 2k and lower freq range is 120Hz
    I am going then to a QSC PLX and a Bergantino 210. This setup is also used for electric bass.

The tone of the db is actually great. It varies a lot with the room: ie smaller room, this is more prone to feedback but in general the low mids are nicely represented without the thump of the highs.
    I was surprised how nicely it cut through the overall sound without beeing too boomy (hope this makes sense)
    Obviously it's not a nice wooden sound as in acoustic but i can really keep up with a somewhat loud jazz drummer and a sax!

This is not very portable but when I play both db and electric bass there is no portability issue... it will always be a pain to setup.

Any comments or other experience on this setup?

2. WovenGraphite

WovenGraphite Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Bay Area, California
    I see 29 people read this note without any comments... was anything I said stupid?

3. pat.p

pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    I don't think so...;)
    I've used Sadowsky outboard during my last recording session and found it very helpful and great for upright... I've used it with Fishman BP-100 (very GOOD pu). I think, that it works fine with Realist too. One of the best pre/DI I've ever used.
    Regards
    Pat