Really thinking about cutting down my effect pedals, and I only have 6

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gary mitchell, May 6, 2018.

1. Since I got my new Aguilar Twin filter, I am thinking about cutting down to 3 pedals. my three would be my Keeley Bassist, to my Aguilar filter twin, and my Boss dd-3. I would be getting rid of my Fuzz pedal a guy made for me nice pedal its a copy of the old Dallas Arbiter, and get rid of the Boss GEB-7. I can tell a different in my sound even when they are turn off. And there is just to much EQing going on for me. Do you guys think I am crazy.

Badwater, wmmj and zapped777 like this.
  2. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Nah man, if the pedals are bogging your tone down when bypassed, just replace them with either quality buffered pedals, true bypass pedals, or nothing at all. My "front end" of effects is just dirt, filter, modulation, and sometimes an octaver. The 'back end' (basic tone shaping and utility work) is tuner, compressor, and sometimes a preamp.

You're only crazy if you force yourself to use something that you don't like the effects of on your sound!

Deak, Bioflava, FilterFunk and 2 others like this.
  3. Shadowkast

Shadowkast

Aug 20, 2016
    The Dreadfort
    You will now make inferior music.

Blu bro, PeterH, Pet Politics and 2 others like this.
  4. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Undoubtedly.

5. riccalioliojr

riccalioliojr

Dec 16, 2017
    Some of my 2 cents...

You should feed filters a dry signal because it reacts to dynamics. A compressor tends to remove dynamics.

Fuzz pedal - I'm not really a fan of fuzz pedals especially for bass. I like the sound of overdrive or distortion more. So I would say, good riddance! Hehe

Graphic EQ - I personally wanted to buy a graphic EQ myself but decided against it because I realized I can achieve the tone I need using my bass' onboard controls and my preamps basic EQ. So I would say it is not crazy not to have them. :)

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    gary mitchell likes this.
  6. It's funny but cool, these 2 pedals work very well together. It really doesn't make much different which you put first. I find that the gain control on the Keeley bassist, really makes the Aguilar Filter Twin shine if put first. But that's to my ears and it seems to my worship band members like it better that way . I also play with a little 4 piece band on Saturdays and they like it. Both bands all have years of music and music gear under their belts, 3 of them play many different instruments, one has a 6 year degree in music. So I really can rely on what they say as far as sound, but I get most of my mechanics from here, if you can understand that. I think for what I do the Keeley Bassist and Aguilar and Delay is all I need. I would like to find an overdrive pedal with more sustain and just a slight overdrive.

7. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Gary, if your recent threads about these pedals are an indicator, then yes, they are bogging you down.

Try paring it down to two or three pedals for your current lineup. Store the rest until you're either sure about the reduced lineup or are ready to try them again. Also, however many you gig with, engage no more than two at a time.

Good luck!

riccalioliojr, wmmj and gary mitchell like this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Instead of thinking "what pedal can I eliminate", try "what pedal do I need". Start with a dry signal, and work up.

9. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Hey, not all of us are Justin Chancellor or Doug Wimbish. Use what feels right to you. In theory I'd love a board with multiple fuzzes, od's, distortions, filters, phasers, etc, but in reality I only really use 2-3 pedals at a time. Believe me, it makes playing this instrument much easier. One day, if I ever have a roadie and am playing large clubs or arenas I'll put together the board of my dreams. But for now a small board allows me to concentrate on the fundamentals and not get too far out there.

10. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    You're not crazy. Do what YOU want to do, it's your board. Of course you know that. I have fallen in to the rabbit hole and had 20 pedals on my board at one time in the past. Many times. But over time I started forcing myself to ditch stuff I didnt NEED. With my band we are really open to experimenting so that can leave a lot of room for trying new things. That led to me trying to cram as much as I could onto a PT Pro sized board. It was fun for a while but then I got tired of the tippy toe tap dance. I mean, do you really need 9 dirt boxes on your board?......(YES!!! haha)

After I cut back though, it was actually more freeing, I was more inspired because it was easier for me to see what I had to work with as opposed to having "all this stuff at my feet" to work with. So sometimes simpler is better/best. Dont get me wrong though, I still have like 12 or 13 pedals on my board haha but its made it more fun for me now.

hintz likes this.
  11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    You're on Talkbass. Crazy is assumed but as we're all in the same situation, we won't try to fix you.

A support group helps you get past things. We're an enablement group; here to help you feel good about continuing your bass guitar related issues and addictions.

12. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I sub a lot. My next gig is kinda Dad-band, and after going thru the songlist, I've decided my board will include my wireless receiver, and a pedal tuner. That's it. Do the pedal dance when you need to, and go straight in when it's what suits best.

wmmj and StatesideRambler like this.
  13. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    I've never been as thrilled with my own live sound as when I cut pedals to dead zero so no, you're definitely not crazy.

14. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    The point of using pedals is to achieve the sound you want. You are only crazy if you use less pedals than you need.

wmmj, Matt R. and SteveC like this.
  15. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    You could make a case for having more than you need being crazy, too.

Don't ask me how I know .....

AztecViking likes this.
  16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I used to have a bunch of pedals. Some I used for 1 song a night. I decided it wasn't worth it.
    I now have a tuner and an OCSD to breathe some "life" and "presence" in my DI/IEM rig.
    The entire band noticed that more than any effects I used. I'm very happy. Pedaltrain Nano and I'm good to go.

gary mitchell and wmmj like this.
  17. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Pretend I'm so ignorant I don't know what those letters mean. What do they mean? I know DI is probably a DI, direct line. The rest?
    Today I wouldn't have a board without a SSBS Mini, the small do-it-all fuzz/overdrive, but for many years, the 90s especially, I never had a fuzz or missed one. Compressor and chorus delay, eq, yes. There were no fuzzes that did what myriad pedals do today, retain the low end. Your particular pedal, while it may be special, may not be to your liking. Have you tried a TAFM? Carcosa? etc

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Sorry. Almost all my gigs are DI (direct line) and I use IEM's (In Ear Monitors) so my board looks like this:
    OCSD board.JPG
    I use the OmniCabSim to give my DI and IEM sound a bit of "life" or "presence" and the Rolls is for my IEM's. All on a Pedaltrain Nano board. I absolutely LOVE this rig.

Bioflava likes this.
  19. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    I cut down from from around 7 to 3.

Of course, one of them is an H9 Max, and I'm not counting my tuner, looper, MIDI switching system, volume pedal, HPf...

20. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    it's purdy. IEMs, oh I have a mental block about them, but Im Sure devotees know OCS, looks useful & well built.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021