Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reccomend Me an Acoustic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My band is more interested in playing outdoor panhandling type stuff and coffee club shows, so I want to get an acoustic electric bass. I would REALLY love it to be as inexpensive as possible. Thanks for the help.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Anything, but you'll need an amp ;)

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Are they seriously that quiet?

4. wombolombo

wombolombo

Nov 29, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    You could get a Tacoma (that's what I have)...they're one of the loudest out there. But if you're playing along with more than one or two acoustic guitars, you'll need an amp.

And...figure you'll need to use a pick no matter what.

5. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Fretless seems like it'd make it louder too...?

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Well, yea? It's a bass, brotha.

-Mark

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    How so?

-Mark

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Cheapy Johnson
    [​IMG]
    serious volume for a $200 AGB, very large body.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah there's a fretless one of those at the shop by my house.

10. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    if you're looking for the best volume and sound (IMO), you'll want to go this route:
    [​IMG]

if you want a ABG with decent volume, you'll want a tacoma (or the olympia, which is the cheaper version of the tacoma thundercheif), or if you're just looking for one thats real affordable, try checking out SX, they make an ABG, although I've never tried one, they're priced well, and their electrics are made well for the money.

my $0.02

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I think i'm gonna end up getting this bad jackson.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Acoustic/Acoustic/Electric?sku=511938

The ratings seem to be real nice. I'm trying to dig up a Harmony Central review right now too.

Feel free to pursuade me out of it if you have another suggestion. :) The price is steal, and the guy that reviewed for the 4 string model does what i'm going to be doing, which is playing with 2 acoustic guitarists and an acoustic percussionist.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I can assure you that volume will almost definately be an issue. Even jamming with a single acoustic guitarist I can barely hear myself on my Brownsville (large body, rather loud for an ABG)

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  14. foyos

foyos

Feb 10, 2006
    lisbon portugal
    i can only advise to pluck really hard and closer2the neck as possible in terms of being heard!as for the brand choose the one that you like the best(its always the same stupid advice i know but it's true.in my college band i use a no brander(made by a portuguese guy)and it has been arround for ages

15. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I could be wrong, it just seems like whenever i play a fretless instrument unplugged, it's louder than a fretted instrument. I'm probably just thinking of when you slide though. Uprights don't have frets either. :)

16. i just bought an acoustic 2 months ago to do the same exact thing your going to do. i got this one-http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=0&TempID=1&STRID=14247&Method=3&CategoryID=183&BrandID=1313&PriceRangeID=0&PageNum=0&DepartmentID=2&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=

I like it, im definitly happy with it....except for the fact that when i went home to plug it into my amp, it didnt work...it might have been the battery, but idk. and as for being loud...i dont really know how it matches up to other ones, but i guess it can be heard when im next to a jimbay(spelled wrong) and two acoustic guitars and a mandolin....but still, i dont know.....
    If you want one for a small amount of money, you could check this one out, but make sure it is what your looking for before you buy it.

17. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Get a fretless Michael Kelly. Only heard good things about those.

18. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Might want to consider a battery powered amp as well for places where you have no juice. I've got a Pignose Hog 30, sounds like ass but adds volume. I have a cheap Johnson resonator ABG that is proably louder than most smaller-bodied ABGs, but that extra zing from the resonator gets lost when playing with steel string guitars.

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well my issue with the amp is why would I even get an acoustic if I was gonna use an amp anyways? If I get an amp i'll just use my bass.

20. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    I bought an SX acoustic/electric (guitar though, not bass) at Rondo Music a few weeks ago for about $160..and its a really great guitar for the money. If the SX acoustic basses are as solid as the acoustic guitars, id definately pick one up.