recent events

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by 5string, Aug 15, 2005.

1. 5string

May 5, 2003
    Hanover PA
    Posted by our leader on our website!!!!

When You've done this long enough You find that people You thought were friends fall short of what "FRIENDS" are supposed to be. Case in point....June I get a call from and long time friend and former band member asking if we would open for his band.After further conversation the real reason came out, They needed a band with a good sized P.A. because they had none.

Looking for exposure at a new club and because of Our friendship We agreed. The only problem was that Our Bass player was on vacation that week and may not have been able to make the gig. Even still We promised them the use of Our P.A. A week later We were able to confirm that We would play the gig.

I at that time tried to contact Ronnie the band rep to set up the details. After several calls and messages with no reply I contacted Chris to try to iron out the details to no avail.When I finally got in touch with Ronnie 3 weeks before the gig I was disappointed to find He had very little to add, a week later I hear they canceled the gig and after calling the venue and talking to the management got a call from Chris saying that everything was still on. Every time I tried to work out details I was directed to Ronnie who could not be reached and would never return calls. I MEAN NEVER.

The whole time this was going on the band we were trying to work with did nothing but promote themselves

At no time was a schedule mentioned or agreed to. We were splitting the night with this band so from 10PM to 1:30 am I figured 4/ 40 minute sets with 20 minute breaks. We would do the first 2 from 10:00PM to 10:40 and 11:00PM to 11:40 PM they could play as long as they wanted until closing. The night of the gig AFTER the equipment was set up with very little help from them we were informed that we were to get off the stage by 11:00 PM We only played 40 minutes and They wanted the rest of the night.There was no room for negotiating with Ronnie so We said We would play to 20 after 11 and give them the rest of the night.

That wasn't good enough so they packed up to leave. Then the most infantile thing I ever saw from a "so called" friend happened. Chris came up onstage while we played and removed all the fans they placed to cool everyone. Can You believe that ???? Then they left.To ad insult to this whole fiasco They post bad things about #$%@#$^.com.and have their cronies do the same. This just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished and also taught us not to deal with self centered over egoed rock star wannabes

Theres more to this story but its just not worth the time or effort to continue. Anyone who knows Us knows We keep Our word and they also know We don't like to be played for fools
  2. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    All I can say is that sucks, people who're only interested in your equipment have no right to call themselves instruments. That is the most childish piece of behaviour I have ever heard of.
  3. At least the person who made the posting didn't back down when the other band tried to cut down their playing time to an unacceptably short amount. Some people forget who has the strength in that situation...I'd say the people who actually own the PA have the right to play as long as they want, really ;)