Recent gig-bloopers

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by AllodoX, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Ok.. Who fell off the stage ? Who played the wrong string the entire song without noticing it ? lets hear them.. your recent gig-bloopers ! :D
  2. At the gig this last weekend, I tried to sing backing vocals while playing bass on "How you remind me" (Nickelback). It kicked my ass ... :oops:

Performed individually, I can do the backing vox no problem, the bassline is no problem.
    Combine the two and :help: .
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    After soundcheck I a few weeks ago I ran home to change clothes real fast. Put on a striking new black western shirt I got (it's a country gig) but forgot to put on my black boots and instead walked in with some fugly brown shoes on. A local radio deejay promo-ing the show (who is a great guy, btw) just pointed and laughed at me. No time to go back home and fetch the appropriate footwear, either...

4. I played Friday night and i have this habit of closing my eyes and just letting go on stage.... we tried a new stage setup and we were a little closer together than normal. I was banging (how can you not when you cover Dead Skin Mask by Slayer?) and not looking when, WHAM!!!! headfirst into the headstock of my guitarist.. the top of my right ear is now an intiresting blend of purples and reds. and the best part, we were being video'd for and photographed for Modern Fix magazine and i get comments from both saying they got me on impact... :smug:
  5. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    I used to play a Fender Precision with a Hipshot D-tuner. On more than one occasion I forgot to switch it back to E for the next song. I eliminated that problem by buying a 5 string. This, of course, initially caused a new problem -- forgetting that the lowest string is no longer the E.
  6. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Great timing on this thread. I was just getting ready to post a happening from this past saturday. We were playing our local house gig and were really having a good night. The bar owner has this thing where he and his son come up and sing Beer for My Horses with the band when they get in the mood. The crowd was really enjoying the "Raise up our glasses..." portion of the song when I noticed that 2 of the bartenders were dancing on the bar. Not one to let things happen and not join in I decided to jump up there with them. We were having a great time dancing and whooping it up. I was dancing with one of the bartenders trying to do the cool walk backwards while she was trying to get her freak on. I of course didn't see that someone had opened the walkthrough for the bar. One bad step backwards and I was no longer on the bar but sitting in some lady's lap at the bar. Thank god she saw me coming and prepared for the impending impact. We had a great laugh, I bought her a drink since I kicked hers over trying to keep from breaking my neck and everyone had a good laugh. Good times were had by all.
  7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    2 weeks ago I had an audition at a very well known studio in NYC, mind you it has 20 something rooms.
    well I had to go to 4th floor room #2, no problem...
    so I get up there, take a leak, sit in room #2... no amps... huh?
    "ok" I said I'll "just hang out"
    5 mins pass and people start coming in and siting next to me reading outloud!??? "***"?
    ok so we're trying new vox too?... no prob.
    so I strike up a convo with a very cute chick and she asks "what are you trying out for?" I said "bass", she replies "oh the show has music?"

***? where am I????

I excused myself to enjoy a cig and make a call to my now late band members. Upon my dialing the ph number while puffing away I just so happened to have looked at the door....FEMALE ACTING CLASS/IN STUDY!

looked at my address and I was one door off. the guys had a good laugh, and I can fake cry now.

8. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    My band won a battle of the bands and it turned out my bass was not even in tune through out the entire performance lol :rolleyes:
  9. Had a small blooper a couple weeks ago, that ended up causing a huge catastrophe on stage. My band was playing "Seek and Destroy" and I of course was really getting into much that I smacked my guitarist across the face with my headstock...this is turn caused him to lose his balance for just a sec....but enough time for him to fall down and go crashing into the drum kit....we had to take five while he recomposed himself and our drummer set back up his kit.....
  10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    We had a gig a few years ago that was in an Irish pub. Part of the payout was a free meal, so I got myself healthy portion of corned beef and cabbage before the gig.
    Somewhere around the second set the cabbage starts to kick in. Since the music was loud enough I figured I'd let one rip. I snuck a couple by without any notice, so I figured I was good. Then it was time for me to sing a tune. While I was belting it out with my vocals, I was belting out something else gastrically. What arose was such a stink that I busted out laughing right into the microphone, mid-verse. I looked around behind me and saw the two guitarists with sour looks on their faces and moving away from me as far as their cords would let them. The drummer gave me a real nasty look, but he was all-pro and didn't miss a beat.
  11. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    My brother who plays guitar in our band, last year during our first show we really tried to do things right, not taking a lot of time between songs, talk to the audiance etc. He thanks the crowd and then goes to thank the bar but he forgets the bars name in mid sentence, then calls it by the wrong name. I recovered with the "Thank you Cleveland" line off that commercial with the rappers.
  12. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Unfortunately I have the same story. Not the cabbage part but the aftereffect. Mine was from Mexican food. We were playing a place in College Station, Texas. The Aggies are not shy about heckling when the bass player floats a cloud. :bag:
  13. rockrollain

Feb 23, 2004
    Crofton MD
    I tripped over duct tape onstage last week and did the idiot dance trying to stay on my feet! :D
  14. oddity_uk

Feb 3, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    Just the usual, completely forgetting the bassline to a song and staring panicked at the guitar players fretboard, and accidently leaving my distortion on right through a song... neither me nor anyone else noticed either :(

15. Forgot to double strap my cable and stepped on it while playing. Most people only notice how important the bass guitar is when it's sound falls out. Maybe an idea? :D
  16. Oooooow! This must have hurt! Where you guys ever asked again at that particular gig?
  17. rossco

rossco Unregistered

Mar 8, 2003
    Getting through the first number before realising the guy lying on the floor wasn't drunk but dead!

Turned out he was the lighting guy :eek:
  18. Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    HOLY MOLY! thats rock n roll, yet strangely eerie.

Closest i've been, hmmm. well there have been a few, but i think the gold moment must have been when we were playing, and suddenly this massive crowd of people entered the bar, including some very fine, somewhat single looking ladies.

so me, being an attention seeking muppet, decided to do a jump. nice height made. upon landing i landed on a cable, at just the wrong angle. down i go (bass last, naturally. gotta take care of the old axe) and somehow carried on playing. I believe it was radioheads "Just" we were doing at the time.

I made up for this when i played the cavern in liverpool though. was a great gig, dumped the guitar, jumped up to catch the lighting rig, hauled myself up, legs over, and hung upside down for a bit.

i must look a right idiot on stage.

shame i left the band now, but can't wait to get gigging again with the next band!
  19. lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA

Had a gig a few years back where our singer was a bit tipsier than she was used to being. She was movin' to the music and lost her balance and fell forward onto a table. The band played on, but since she was right in front of me, I had to help her up. She got back up and continued singing, but because of the fall, the mic stand had compressed to about waist high. So, while singing, she attempted to lengthen the stand by pulling. Bad move. She gets the classic mic-in-teeth sound *BOINK* and still continues. We finish the set and she gets out of that club fast. It's too bad she did that though; the people in attendance really felt good for her for finishing, bad for her falling like an @$$. That was pretty funny.

Had a gig a few years back where our band was playing in a local BOTB contest. Of course, I changed my strings a sit was a big show. Of course, I forgot to stretch them out before playing. So, of course, during the set, I kept yelling over to my guitarist that he was a half-step out for the first few songs. When I realized what a doofus I was, well, I was a doofus.
  20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well? Where are the pictures?