Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recomend some warm nickle rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basss, Sep 28, 2005.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I'm looking for suggestions for a new set for my Lakland 55-02. I have D'addario 1/2 rounds on now and while I like them I want to try something just a tad brighter and zingier. Most of the other nickel strings I've tried tend to be too bright and clanky sounding (d'addario XL's DR low riders & sunbeams) and flats are too dead for me. I'm looking for just a bit more zing than the 1/2 rounds.

I was thinking of trying Fender pure nickel but it doesn't look like they make a 5 string set. Would pure nickel give me the warmth i'm looking for? Any recomendations for a pure nickel 5 string set?

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks but I would guess that NPS stands for "nickel plated steel", no?
    I just found out that Fender does make a 7150 B string but you have to order it separately, which I just did from juststrings.com.

I'm still open to suggestions though.

3. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    :smug: ...missed the pure nickel part...

4. caruso

caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    Why not give S.I.T. Silencers and Power Flats or Taper Wounds a try?
    I play mostly Status Graphite basses with a very high output and already
    very present highs and by using Silencers I can achive a darker tone.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The answer is right in front of you! D'addario XL's. They're nice warm nickel strings, and best of all they're always the cheapest strings in the store other than crummy budget brands.

6. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, he already tried XLs.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh...man, I have to get my eyes checked or slow down when reading posts on here or something.

Well if D'addario XLs are too clanky for you, I suggest you forget about rounds, because they're the least clanky roundwound string on the market as far as I'm concerned. Or maybe you should let them go dead. Maybe that's the sound you're looking for.

8. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Dad XL's are nice strings and I almost bought a set before I found out about the 7150 B. It's not so much the clank with the XL's as it is the forward sounding mids which tend to sound too honky in exposed settings for me. The DR's are more clanky - the ones I've tried have all had very extended highs.

9. May want to look at a compressed round string like GHS Pressurewound or Ken Smith Compressors.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    +1
    Pressurewounds and Compressors are two great strings.
    Both have smooth feel.
    Compressors are a little darker to my ears.

11. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    From December 2004 Bass Player:

PURE NICKEL

Fender 7150M

Treble..||||||
    Mid.....||||||||
    Bass....||||||||||

Rotosound Pure Nickel

Treble..||||||||||
    Mid.....||||||||
    Bass....||||||||||

NICKEL PLATED

D'Addario XL

Treble..||||||||
    Mid.....||||||||
    Bass....||||||||

DR Sunbeams

Treble..||||||||||
    Mid.....||||||||||
    Bass....||||||||

So then these are the nickel plated that have reduced treble response that may interest you:

Dean Markley NPS Roundcore Bass Rocco Prestia 5 String

Treble..|||
    Mid.....||||||||||
    Bass....||||||||

Elrick NI5M

Treble..|||||
    Mid.....||||||||||
    Bass....||||||||||

GHS Boomer

Treble..||||
    Mid.....|||||||
    Bass....||||||||||

Lakland Custom Wound Nickel

Treble..|||||
    Mid.....||||||||||
    Bass....||||||||||

SIT Powerwound Nickel

Treble..|||||
    Mid.....||||||||||
    Bass....|||||||

12. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've had the Fender pure nickels on for a few days now and had them out on a couple gigs. These strings are great especially considering the price. They feel easier to play than the 1/2 rounds - the tension seems different. Not necessarily less but "bouncier" than the 1/2 rounds. The have more highs and clarity than the 1/2 rounds but still have a good amount of thump as well - something the other rounds I've used on this bass seemed to be lacking.

13. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    +1 for Fender. After searching and trying many, I have returned to the Fender Fold. They do it for me!

14. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    tim99:

Thank you! That was exactly the review I was just looking for.

I wish they had included Pyramid Nickel Roundwounds. Maybe they were too expensive even for BP to buy for the review.

15. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    I too must admit that the Fender Pure Nickle rounds are good strings, with regard to what you are looking for in a string. For some reason I just never considered Fender strings as an option, because they are made for Fender by someone else, and I just thought it would be better to try strings that were made and marketed by a company that just makes strings.

But a few years ago I bought a late 70's P-Bass that came strung up with Fender Nickles as well as another new set of them in the case. They sounded and felt surprisingly good and that bass is still strung with them (the newer set on there now). They don't seem to go dead, nor do they tarnish as much as other nickles I use such as DR Low Rider Nickles.

Another good nickle wrap (or nickle plated....I'm not sure) I have tried are LaBella Slappers (which seem misnamed since they are not zingy and bright like the steel strings that most manufacturers market for slap style players). These strings start out bright and clanky, but mellow out after just a few hours of play.

16. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    GHS Boomers,

so warm and mellow, i cant stand them

you'd like them though.

17. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I went through the same thing and decided to give them a shot after the feedback they got. I'm glad I did!

18. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    and Thanks! I'll probably try a few of these sooner or later

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    SIT nickel rounds are standard issue on Reverend basses, and G&L's. They are a little bright at first, but break in nicely and last a long time. I like them a lot. I play mostly fingerstyle blues, jazz and R&B...