1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recomended Ibanez bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elcamino72, Mar 31, 2009.

1. See, i was gonna buy the BTB 200 strictly for the 35" scale neck... and the humbucking pups since i wanted sumthing different then split p's
    http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-BTB200

But now im thinking i should buy the SR 530 for the bartollini pups and the fact that its not a begginer bass....

http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR530

I dont know much about this so can i get sum help? i play metal mostly and my amp is a fender rumble 100 if that helps any....

2. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    How much do you plan to spend? I own a BTB, SR, and ATK. I find the ATK to have the best tone for any style of music out of the 3.

3. i dont plan to spend much but i have an option for a payment plan...

and what kind of style do you plaay? im looking for softer metal / harder rock

4. The SR530 is a very nice 34" scale bass with a slim/narrow neck - very nice eliptical profile - 38mm wide nut, 19.5mm thick at 1st. Usually about $600

5. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I mostly play progressive, hard rock, and a touch of metal. My whole band and I agree the ATK sounds the best.

6. does it do well in drop tuning? i love the hardware and iron pewter color.... and bassistgook.. i like the idea of the tone like that but i cant get past that body style on the ATK:meh:

7. I have 3 Ibanezes including the ATK. While I REALLY like the ATK, this is the best Ibanez deal going right now, if you ask me:

The RD500:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARD500

They were discontinued for awhile then came back. I guess they found a stash of them somewhere. They used to sell for like $500 - 600 bucks.

I got mine used and have played mine at every gig for the past 18 months or so. It sounds and plays absolutely wonderful. Mine has a matching headstock and the one pictured does not... I don't know if that is the only difference or not, I just know that these "re-appeared" a few months ago...

Ox.

8. azarias

azarias

Mar 19, 2009
    Whatever you do, just make sure you try the Bass in person first!

I would even try a few then leave and think on it for a couple days before deciding.

I recently (and quite hastily) bought an sr500 with the licensed Barts in it. Through the little amp in the store it sounded like a good alternative to other basses. Something good but different. I got it home and it still sounded fine through my practice amp.
    I ran it into my mixer and did a little bit of recording and OMG what junk! I dedicated days to getting any amount of balls out of this thing and nope!
    So i returned it! Whats funny is in the store it really did sound better than the atk 300 and the other basses in that price range.:scowl:
    So just dont give in to impulsive tendencies and make sure you can return it.

9. ill keep that in mind.. the only bass i got to try was the BTB200......

10. I have mine [SR400QM] set up with 50 / 70 / 90 / 110 gauge nickel rounds tuned DGCF, and sometimes CGCF - sounds great.

I would use a 115/120 if you're going to use the lowest string as "C"

11. thank you sir:smug: i think you helped me make my dessicion right there.... expect pics of a SR530 here in less then a month:bassist:

12. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I agree with you on the looks of the ATK not being the best. In fact I think it's the most ugly bass I own in my opinion lol. I got it because of the pickup configuration. Mine is the ATK750KA so I have the added jazz pup in the neck for more versatility. One of the best basses I've tried. Only basses I have tried that I felt sounded better are Music Man and Warwick. I'm sure there are some others that sound better too but everything that can beat it's tone all cost at least twice as much.

13. honestly,i'd suggest the ATK over any of the ibanez basses.
    i heard one the other day for the first time..aw :bassist:
    those things can memic bass tones that would come from basses that cost 3x as much.

14. Damn... the atk does sound tempting.... grr....im gonna have to take a second look.... or ill just go to GC and play them both... lol

15. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    I play an Ibanez ATK300RSPBK Bass Guitar and it sounds AMAZING, but it is the ugliest thing I've ever seen in my life, I despise the engraved bridge and pickguard on the thing.

I wish I had my old original ATK I played the last time I was pushed into playing bass.

My ATK is going to go on backup duty once I get my Jazz bass finished, simply because it's so ugly :(

16. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    I hate BTBs, they're so... stiff, the wood seems so hard man

SRs on the other hand are fine instruments anybody could be proud of having one [IF it's a good one lol, I mean... there are a lot of cheap versions]

17. The SR530 cheap in your opinion?

18. ^ That's the best idea - go to your local GC, and camp for a day. Give them both a thorough test drive, and them some. Go back the next day, and do it again ;)

Personally I'll take the Soundgear anyday - I can't get past the look of the ATK's or the wider/thicker 22 fret neck, and I like the "SR" 3-band EQ's much better, but that's me :cool:

19. drudonit

drudonit

Jan 30, 2009
    MI
    anything with Bartolini pups on it is sweet. I started out on an Ibanez TR bass, a p.o.s to me now but it was a GREAT starter bass. I got bartolinis on my ocean, they're awesome for heavy playing

20. lord_mezry

lord_mezry

Apr 12, 2007
    I use an Ibanez GSR205 which works best for me.